Large or small deflections of a cantilever beam

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of classical bending theory for a cantilever beam and the factors that determine its applicability. The conversation suggests that for beam length L ≥ 10*h, using classical beam theory is appropriate. However, for L < 10*h, Timoshenko beam theory may be more suitable. The conversation also mentions using small deflection theory for L ≥ 10*y, and provides further guidelines for different types of beams. The original poster also asks for references or sources for these parameters.
fmsrat
Hi,

I'm looking for a parameter or a design guideline that could say weather or not the classical bending theory can be applied to certain beam under certain load. I'm making my dissertation about some work on cantilever beam and it's first natural frequency, so in order to model correctly the beam i would like to know if could use the classical bending theory.

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
fmsrat:

From what I remember, using the classical beam theory (euler-bernoulli) does not account for shear strain which would over or under estimate your natural frequency. I feel that the beam theory you should be looking is Timoshenko.

Again, this from what I remember. Hopefully someone can correct me if I am wrong.

Best of luck.

fmsrat: (1) For a cantilever beam, you generally can use classical beam theory (Euler-Bernoulli beam theory) if beam length L ≥ 10*h, where h = beam cross-sectional depth.

(2) For a cantilever beam, if L < 10*h, you might want to use Timoshenko beam theory.

(3) For a cantilever beam, you generally can use beam small deflection theory (i.e., basic Euler-Bernoulli or Timoshenko beam theory, mentioned in items 1 and 2) if L ≥ 10*y, where y = beam maximum bending deflection.

(4) For a http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/9576/beam02.png or http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/3467/beam03.png (clamped, embedded, encased, encastre, built-in) beam, change each 10 to 20 in items 1, 2, and 3, above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your reply, could you tell me what references(articles,books) did you use for that parameters.

What is a cantilever beam?

A cantilever beam is a type of structural element that is supported at only one end, with the other end projecting outwards. It is commonly used in engineering and construction for its ability to withstand large loads while remaining relatively lightweight.

What are large deflections?

Large deflections refer to the bending or deformation of a cantilever beam that is significant enough to affect its structural integrity. This can occur when the beam is subjected to heavy loads or external forces, causing it to bend or flex beyond its elastic limit.

What are small deflections?

Small deflections are minimal bending or deformation of a cantilever beam that does not significantly impact its structural integrity. This typically occurs when the beam is subjected to lighter loads or forces that are within its elastic limit.

How are large deflections calculated?

The calculation of large deflections in a cantilever beam involves complex mathematical equations that take into account factors such as material properties, beam dimensions, and applied loads. Advanced engineering software programs are often used to accurately calculate large deflections.

What are the effects of large deflections on a cantilever beam?

Large deflections can cause significant stress and strain on a cantilever beam, which can lead to potential failure or collapse. It can also affect the overall stability and performance of the structure it supports. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider and account for large deflections in the design and construction of cantilever beams.