How can I prevent backflow and overheating in my flashlight charging circuit?

• Thread starter deltaspace
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of preventing back flow of current while charging a flashlight with an internal charging circuit. The question is whether a diode is needed to prevent the power from the battery going to the charging circuit when the charger is not in use. The experts suggest that it may or may not be necessary and that the problem of the circuit board getting hot may have another cause. The ideal voltage for charging a single cell lithium battery is mentioned and the expert recommends testing the flashlight to see if it
deltaspace
Hi All,

I am new to this forum and not all that skilled in the electrical department. I need help with choosing the correct diode or method to prevent the back flow of current.

I have built a flashlight with an internal charging circuit that is of course pre-wired permanently. so once you see the light dimming all you need to do is plug in the charger cord and wait till the light turns green.

My question here is, when the charger is not in use do i need to have something that will prevent the power from the battery going to the charging circuit? Also i noticed that the circuit tends to get really warm when i am charging, would a diode solve this heal issue as well?

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hrmm, is this one you built? or is the circuit made by a company? To the best of my knowledge some devices will have an internal switch so that when the battery reaches its capacity the circuit will activate the switch and stop the current from flowing into the battery. If the light is one color while charging and then turns green when charged, this should be a signal that the battery is at capacity. Some devices will stop current flow at that point and others will continue to pull current into the battery when its full as a resistor. Heat would be normal as the battery is still a resistor, but if the input current and resistance value of the battery are calculated correctly, then there should be no catastrophic failure or super high heat.

In other cases of power generation: let's say you are using an electric motor powered by a bicycle to charge a 12V battery. The bike will have to speed up to meet or exceed the current of that 12V battery in order to charge it. If the motor was wired directly to the battery and the speed was below 12V then the battery would try to actuate the motor. In this case a high value diode would be placed in-between the leads of the battery and the motor only allowing voltage to flow into the battery and not out.

If your power input source is equal or greater than your battery, then voltage should never flow in reverse, and the power input should not exceed the resistance of the battery or it could overheat and fail. Hope this helps.

Hi MachX,

this is one that i purchased pre-made. the issue i am having is when i charge the battery without a diode the circuit board does not get hot however i noticed the voltage is not as high (i figured after reading about it that it does decrease a bit).

is there any way i can run a diode on either the positive or negative charge terminal without hindering the voltage drop?

its ideal to have it stay at 4.1-4.25v ... at all times as i am charging a single cell.

Hi deltaspace, http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif
deltaspace said:
this is one that i purchased pre-made.
Factory built, okay. But you did say "I have built a flashlight ..."? :confused:

It may (or may not) be possible to add a diode to prevent the battery discharging via the charging circuit, but until you establish that it is needed, there is no point in trying to add the diode. If you leave the flashlight unused for 4 days, does it still work when switched on?
its ideal to have it stay at 4.1-4.25v ... at all times as i am charging a single cell.
4 volts? This is a Lithium cell?

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like the origin of the "problem" (circuit board getting hot) may have nothing to do with the back flow of current. Deltaspace is this something that you just "guessed" was the problem or do you have some evidence of this.

A more likely scenario is simply that, with the inclusion of the diode, the charger is fooled into thinking the battery is fully charged much sooner than it really is. Meaning that the charger supplies less current and therefore doesn't get as hot (plus the battery never gets anywhere near full charge and also stays cool).

NascentOxygen said:
Hi deltaspace, http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Factory built, okay. But you did say "I have built a flashlight ..."? :confused:
I build the flashlight, however the charging circuit is factory made.

It may (or may not) be possible to add a diode to prevent the battery discharging via the charging circuit, but until you establish that it is needed, there is no point in trying to add the diode. If you leave the flashlight unused for 4 days, does it still work when switched on?

yes, its a lithium cell.

uart said:
It sounds like the origin of the "problem" (circuit board getting hot) may have nothing to do with the back flow of current. Deltaspace is this something that you just "guessed" was the problem or do you have some evidence of this.

A more likely scenario is simply that, with the inclusion of the diode, the charger is fooled into thinking the battery is fully charged much sooner than it really is. Meaning that the charger supplies less current and therefore doesn't get as hot (plus the battery never gets anywhere near full charge and also stays cool).

hi UART, i am just guessing here... reason is because once the it finishes charging the board cools down..

keep in mind when i say it gets hot, its still ok to touch, its not burning hot.

NascentOxygen said:

yes, 4 days is not a problem, actually i fully charged it last night... it was at 4.19V, this morning it was at 4.17... the loss is very little

deltaspace said:
yes, 4 days is not a problem, actually i fully charged it last night... it was at 4.19V, this morning it was at 4.17... the loss is very little
Secondary cell voltages take time to settle after charging, even when no current is draining from them.

on a side note...

does anyone know where i can find/purchase a pre-made circuit board just to control a flashing LED...

every half second would be ideal..

1. How does backflow occur and why is it a problem?

Backflow occurs when there is a reversal of the normal direction of water flow in a plumbing system, causing contaminated water to flow back into the main water supply. This is a problem because it can lead to contamination of the drinking water and potential health hazards.

2. What are some common causes of backflow?

Some common causes of backflow include high water pressure, a sudden drop in water pressure, and a cross-connection between the main water supply and a contaminated source, such as a garden hose left in a bucket of chemicals.

3. How can backflow be prevented?

Backflow can be prevented by installing backflow prevention devices, which are designed to keep water flowing in one direction and prevent backflow. These devices include backflow preventer valves, air gaps, and vacuum breakers.

4. Are there any regulations or standards for preventing backflow?

Yes, there are regulations and standards in place to ensure the prevention of backflow. The National Plumbing Code and the American Water Works Association have guidelines and requirements for backflow prevention devices and maintenance.

5. What should I do if I suspect backflow in my plumbing system?

If you suspect backflow in your plumbing system, it is important to contact a licensed plumber or your local water provider immediately. They can help determine the cause and provide solutions to prevent backflow and ensure the safety of your water supply.