Facing My Phobia: Overcoming Needle Fear

• Thread starter munky99999
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Needle
In summary, this person has a needle phobia and has a good reason why. They had a very bad asthma attack when they were young and they were hospitalized, and the nurse who was giving them the shot missed the vein 8 times. Now, because of this, this person only gets need shots and doesn't get a free flu shot. This particular phobia affects this person in different degrees, but they do have a phobia-phobia which is the fear of fear itself.
munky99999
Like personally I have a needle phobia. That's for sure. No idea of the real phobia name. I also have like a sort of good reason why. When I was young I had a very bad asthma attack, i was hospitalized, when i was there. They needed to needle something to get my asthma attack under control. I forget the name(i think cortozone. probably not.) So when they did this. A new nurse or something was doing it and missed the vein or whatever like 8 times. Anyway now I will only get the need boosters and stuff. No free flu shot or anything. When I do get shots. I can literally feel the needle insert, no matter how small diameter. I can also feel the fluid expand my vein.

So like this particular phobia of mine. It causes like a complete and utter fear like horror movie type fear.

Now particularly I'm a trekkie, computer geek. As the Hacker's Manifesto says, "We exist without skin color, without nationality, without religious bias" I just don't have any prejudices. I find the racial jokes funny. But I never believe anyone is less then anyone else because of any sort of difference.

So for like Homophobia and the Phobia for racism. Do the people actually get a fear like the horror movie fear of just being near homosexuals? Could someone explain that to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
'Homophobia 'and 'Islamophobia' are political rather than psychiatric terms ,meaning 'hatred of 'rather than 'fear of '. So in one way they seem a misuse of the suffix 'phobia' but actually are closer to the original Greek meaning of the word which is 'fear' so they are at least etymologically correct .Though they do not describe a widely recognised psychological condition as far as I know .

Do the people actually get a fear like the horror movie fear of just being near homosexuals? Could someone explain that to me?

Phobias are treated as anxiety disorders, and are highly treatable, if not curable. This Horror movie fear is now called panic attack. It effects people in different degrees. I grew up next to someone who was hysterical of clouds.

I simply have phobia-phobia..the fear of fear itself.

so you fear becoming fearful of something?

Aichmophobia..the fear of needles

Yes, fear is a horrid feeling, i avoid it at all cost

My friend has myophobia, fear of gerbils (actually it means fear of mice but whatever). She also would like gerbil lovers to stay the hell away :rofl:

Think you don't have a phobia? Are you sure?

1. What is needle phobia and how does it affect individuals?

Needle phobia, also known as trypanophobia, is a specific phobia characterized by an intense and irrational fear of needles, injections, or other medical procedures involving needles. This fear can cause significant distress and impairment in daily life, often leading to avoidance of necessary medical procedures.

2. What are the common symptoms of needle phobia?

The most common symptoms of needle phobia include anxiety, panic attacks, racing heart, sweating, dizziness, and fainting. Some individuals may also experience nausea, trembling, and difficulty breathing.

3. How can needle phobia be treated?

There are several effective treatments for needle phobia including exposure therapy, cognitive-behavioral therapy, and relaxation techniques. These treatments aim to help individuals confront their fear and learn coping strategies to manage their anxiety.

4. Can needle phobia be overcome?

Yes, needle phobia can be overcome with the help of a mental health professional. Through therapy and gradual exposure to needles, individuals can learn to manage their fear and eventually overcome it.

5. Are there any tips for managing needle phobia in the moment?

Some strategies for managing needle phobia in the moment include deep breathing, distraction techniques, and positive self-talk. It may also be helpful to inform medical professionals about your fear so they can provide support and reassurance during procedures.