Energy of H Atom in 1st Excited State - 23.8 eV

In summary, the energy of a hydrogen atom in the first excited state, excluding fine structures, is -3.4 eV. This means that the energy required to excite an electron from the ground state to the first excited state is 10.2 eV. Using the formula E(n) = -mZ^2e^4/8ε_0^2h^2, where Z is the atomic number and n is the quantum state, we can find the energy of the first excited state to be -8.5 eV. Adding this to the energy required to excite the electron, we get a total energy of 1.7 eV. However, the given answer is 23.8 e
nishantve1

Homework Statement

What is the energy of H atom in the first excited state if the potential energy in the ground state is taken to be 0 ?

Homework Equations

Usually the energy of H atom in the ground state is -13.6eV
and in the 1st excited state is -10.2eV
E(n) = πme2/8ε2h2
Bohr's radius = 0.529 angstrom

The answer provided is : 23.8eV

The Attempt at a Solution

So I went with how the energy of the electron is derived from ground up
Knowing that
Total energy = potential energy + Kinetic energy
potential energy due to the positive charge on nucleus and negative on electron
so if the potential energy is taken to be 0 then the only energy left is the kinetic one so
the energy would just be
1/2 mvv
then I substituted
v = e2/2∏hn

then I used the formula
ΔE = 13.6(3/4)

but everything is now messed up and I ended up with a gross looking equation , I know something doesn't makes sense above may be nothing does .

Thanks in advance :

P.S : the answer is 23.8 and 13.6 + 10.2 = 23.8
but how can I possibly do this ?

Physics news on Phys.org

nishantve1 said:
Usually the energy of H atom in the ground state is -13.6eV
and in the 1st excited state is -10.2eV

Check the value of the energy of the 1st excited state.

TSny said:
Check the value of the energy of the 1st excited state.
oops! 10.2eV is required to excite the electron from the ground to the first excited state.

nishantve1 said:
E(n) = πme2/8ε2h2

v = e2/2∏hn

These don't look correct to me.

TSny said:
These don't look correct to me.

Yeah it isn't
In the E e^2 should be e^4

And in velocity pi should be replaced by epsilon

I posted this from my phone .My bad

Ok,to find the potential energy of the hydrogen atom in the first excited state excluding fine structures [itex]\Longrightarrow[/itex]

To find the energy levels of the quantum states of the hydrogen atom,we must solve Schrodinger's equation,with equation U = -ke²/r substituted for U in that equation.Solving that equation reveals that the energies of the electron's quantum states are given by,
E[itex]_{n}[/itex] = -m[itex]_{e}[/itex]e[itex]^{4}[/itex]/8ε[itex]_{o}²[/itex]h²n² which leads us to [itex]\Longrightarrow[/itex]

-13.6 eV/n[itex]^{2}[/itex] , for n=1,2,3,...,

The value of 13.6 eV is called the Rydberg constant and can be found from the Bohr model.

For n = 2 (first excited state) we get E[itex]_{2}[/itex] = -3.4 eV
It means that the energy required to excite an electron in hydrogen atom to its first excited state,is an energy equal to E[itex]_{2}[/itex] - E[itex]_{1}[/itex] = -3.4 eV-(-13.6)eV
= 10.2 eV

→ E[itex]_{n}[/itex] = -mZ[itex]^{2}[/itex]e[itex]^{4}[/itex]/8ε[itex]_{0}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]n[itex]^{2}[/itex]h[itex]^{2}[/itex]
→ For n=2,Z=2
→ E = -8.5 × 10[itex]^{19}[/itex] eV

Ok,to find the potential energy of the hydrogen atom in the first excited state excluding fine structures [itex]\Longrightarrow[/itex]

To find the energy levels of the quantum states of the hydrogen atom,we must solve Schrodinger's equation,with equation U = -ke²/r substituted for U in that equation.Solving that equation reveals that the energies of the electron's quantum states are given by,
E[itex]_{n}[/itex] = -m[itex]_{e}[/itex]Z[itex]^{2}[/itex]e[itex]^{4}[/itex]/8ε[itex]_{o}²[/itex]h²n² which leads us to [itex]\Longrightarrow[/itex]

-13.6 eV/n[itex]^{2}[/itex] , for n=1,2,3,...,

The value of 13.6 eV is called the Rydberg constant and can be found from the Bohr model.

For n = 2 (first excited state) we get E[itex]_{2}[/itex] = -3.4 eV
It means that the energy required to excite an electron in hydrogen atom to its first excited state,is an energy equal to E[itex]_{2}[/itex] - E[itex]_{1}[/itex] = -3.4 eV-(-13.6)eV
= 10.2 eV

→ E[itex]_{n}[/itex] = -m[itex]_{e}[/itex]Z[itex]^{2}[/itex]e[itex]^{4}[/itex]/8ε[itex]_{0}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]n[itex]^{2}[/itex]h[itex]^{2}[/itex]
→ For n=2,Z=2
→ E = -8.5 eV

I have done this problem including Z therefore my answer is -8.5 eV.Now adding them 10.2 eV + (-8.5)eV
= 1.7 eV

But according to your answer,it looks different!

Last edited:

1. How is the energy level of the hydrogen atom in the 1st excited state calculated?

The energy level of the hydrogen atom in the 1st excited state is calculated using the formula: E = -13.6/n^2 eV, where n is the principal quantum number (in this case, n = 2). Therefore, the energy of the hydrogen atom in the 1st excited state is -13.6/2^2 = -13.6/4 = -3.4 eV.

2. Why is the energy of the hydrogen atom in the 1st excited state reported as 23.8 eV?

The energy of the hydrogen atom in the 1st excited state can also be reported as 23.8 eV because 1 eV is equivalent to 1.6 x 10^-19 joules. Therefore, -3.4 eV is equivalent to -3.4 x 1.6 x 10^-19 = -5.44 x 10^-19 joules. When rounded to two significant figures, this value is approximately 23.8 eV.

3. How does the energy of the hydrogen atom in the 1st excited state compare to the ground state?

The energy of the hydrogen atom in the 1st excited state is higher than the ground state energy. The ground state energy of the hydrogen atom is -13.6 eV, while the 1st excited state energy is -3.4 eV. This means that the atom has absorbed energy and moved to a higher energy level.

4. What happens to the energy of the hydrogen atom in the 1st excited state when it transitions to a lower energy level?

When the hydrogen atom in the 1st excited state transitions to a lower energy level, it releases energy in the form of electromagnetic radiation. The energy of the emitted photon will be equal to the difference in energy between the initial and final energy levels.

5. Can the energy of the hydrogen atom in the 1st excited state be changed?

Yes, the energy of the hydrogen atom in the 1st excited state can be changed through interactions with other particles or through the absorption or emission of photons. However, the energy level itself is fixed and can only take on discrete values determined by the principal quantum number.