What is The real cause of meissner effect in superconductors?

In summary, the Meissner effect is not caused by Lenz's law and is instead attributed to the exclusion of magnetic flux from the interior of a material as electrons condense into Cooper pairs. This phenomenon is dependent on both solid state physics and thermodynamics/statistical mechanics. The expulsion of magnetic flux in type I superconductors when cooled is not solely due to d(phi)/dt, but rather the trapping and freezing of non-zero flux in the enclosed vacuum. This is utilized in Squid gravity gradiometers. Type II superconductors do not exhibit this expulsion of flux.
cartik
As i have learnt, the lenz's law is not the cause of the meissner effect.This can also be proved by some experiments.I was wondering what may be the real cause for the meissner effect?
As i don't know the cause, i have no idea, in which part of physics i must post this query.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is an appropriate Forum for the question. The answer depends on a combination of solid state physics (which is based on quantum mechanics) and thermodynamics/statistical mechanics. When electrons condense into Cooper pairs below the transition temperature, it turns out that bulk energy is lowered by excluding magnetic flux from the interior. I don't know of a simple, intuitive way to explain this. Perhaps someone else knows...

All I can tell is that if a flux goes through the type I superconductor above its critical temperature, this flux is expelled when the material is cooled. This would not happen through d(phi)/dt alone, which would just freeze the existing flux.

If the type I superconductor is a loop, the non-zero flux passing through the enclosed vacuum does get trapped and freezed as the material is cooled. Used for Squid gravity gradiometers.

And type II superconductors don't expel the flux...

1. What is the Meissner effect in superconductors?

The Meissner effect is a phenomenon observed in superconductors where they expel all magnetic fields from their interior when cooled below a certain temperature, called the critical temperature.

2. What is the significance of the Meissner effect in superconductors?

The Meissner effect is significant because it allows superconductors to maintain zero electrical resistance and perfect diamagnetism, making them valuable for various applications such as in MRI machines and particle accelerators.

3. What is the real cause of the Meissner effect in superconductors?

The real cause of the Meissner effect is the formation of Cooper pairs, which are pairs of electrons that have opposite spin and are bound together by lattice vibrations. This allows the electrons to move without resistance, creating perfect diamagnetism.

4. How does the Meissner effect relate to superconductivity?

The Meissner effect is a necessary condition for superconductivity. Without the expulsion of magnetic fields, superconductivity cannot be achieved as the presence of magnetic fields would disrupt the formation of Cooper pairs and induce electrical resistance.

5. Can the Meissner effect be observed in all superconductors?

No, the Meissner effect is only observed in type I superconductors, which are characterized by a single critical temperature and a complete expulsion of magnetic fields. Type II superconductors exhibit a mixed state and do not display the Meissner effect at all temperatures.