(molecular spectroscopy)what is the meaning of the symbol

• Thread starter einstein1921
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symbol
In summary, the conversation is about the meaning of the symbol "0oo" in a picture and what should be read to understand its significance. The symbol likely represents vibrational modes excited, specifically the ##\nu_1## and ##\nu_2## modes. The big number in the symbol corresponds to the ##\nu_1## number of the excited state, while the small superscript corresponds to the ##\nu_2## quantum number of the excited state. The sub-script represents the ##\nu_2## vibrational number of the ground state. The conversation also discusses the concept of 0 to 0 transition and how it may be different in electronic transitions compared to purely vibrational transitions.
einstein1921
Hi, everyone. In the picture attached, what is the meaning of 0oo? what should I read to understand the meaning?Thank you!

Attachments

• ch3.png
    ch3.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 562
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I suppose it is some symbol for vibrational modes excited. Maybe you could write something about what is measured? Is this a mass spectrum after two photon excitation?

DrDu said:
I suppose it is some symbol for vibrational modes excited. Maybe you could write something about what is measured? Is this a mass spectrum after two photon excitation?
thank your for your answer! I also think it should be vibraitonal modes exceted. However, what confused me is that 0 to 0 transition is non-meaningful! attached is the paper!

Attachments

• JChemPhys_79_571.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 445
From the paper and ref. 6 therein I understand that the big number is the ##\nu_1## number of the excited state while the small superscript is the ##\nu_2## quantum number of the excited state.
The sub-script is the ##\nu_2## vibrational number of the ground state.
I suppose that due to the higher frequency, the ##\nu_1## mode is never excited in the ground state.
##\nu_1## is the symmetric stretch and ##\nu_2## the out of plane bending mode.

Why is a 0 to 0 transition not meaningful? Take in mind that in electronic transitions, in contrast to IR or Raman purely vibrational transitions, vibrational levels don't have to change (with the exception of symmetry forbidden transitions). See e.g.:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franck–Condon_principle

Last edited:

The symbol 0oo in molecular spectroscopy refers to the energy level of a molecule's electronic state. It represents a transition from the ground state to the excited state, where the molecule has absorbed energy and its electrons move to a higher energy level. To understand the meaning and significance of this symbol, it is important to have a basic understanding of molecular spectroscopy. I would recommend reading introductory books or articles on the topic to gain a better understanding of molecular energy levels and their significance in spectroscopy. Additionally, consulting with a mentor or attending lectures on the subject can also provide valuable insights.

1. What is the meaning of the symbol in molecular spectroscopy?

The symbol in molecular spectroscopy refers to the notation used to represent different types of molecules and their energy levels. It is often used to track the transitions between these energy levels and determine the structure and properties of the molecule.

2. How is the symbol determined in molecular spectroscopy?

The symbol is determined by considering the electronic, vibrational, and rotational states of the molecule. These states are represented by different letters and numbers, which are then combined to form the symbol.

3. What do the letters and numbers in the symbol mean?

The letters in the symbol represent the electronic state of the molecule, while the numbers represent the vibrational and rotational states. Each letter and number has a specific meaning and can provide information about the molecule's properties.

4. Can the symbol change for the same molecule in different conditions?

Yes, the symbol can change for the same molecule in different conditions. This is because the electronic, vibrational, and rotational states of the molecule can be affected by external factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other molecules.

5. How is the symbol used in molecular spectroscopy experiments?

The symbol is used to interpret the results of molecular spectroscopy experiments. By analyzing the transitions between energy levels represented by the symbol, scientists can determine the chemical composition, structure, and properties of the molecule being studied.