Supersymmetry, Extra Dimensions, and Higgs Bosons

In summary, the Argonne Theory Institute 2005 workshop on "Supersymmetry, Extra Dimensions, and Higgs Bosons" will begin tomorrow, May 9th. The workshop program will include uploaded presentation files and will take place in a seminar room near the speaker's office. The speaker hopes to attend some sessions without losing their head.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
OK, this is so unlike me to advertize a theory activity on Supersymmetry, etc. But as a community service, I thought I should point out to those who are interested, that the Argonne Theory Institute will be starting it's Theory Institute 2005 workshop titled "Supersymmetry, Extra Dimensions, and Higgs Bosons" tomorrow, May 9th.

http://www.hep.anl.gov/theorygroup/theory_institute/2005/index.html

If you look at the workshop program, I believe that after each talk, the PPT or PDF file of the presentation will be uploaded.

This will be held in a seminar room just across from my office, so I may be brave enough to stick my head into a few of the sessions. Wish me luck that I don't lose my head...

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ZapperZ said:
Wish me luck that I don't lose my head...

OK. Good luck!

Thank you for sharing this information with the community! The workshop sounds like a great opportunity for those interested in theories such as supersymmetry, extra dimensions, and Higgs bosons. It's great to see that the presentations will be available online, making it accessible to a wider audience. I wish you the best of luck in attending the sessions and hope you gain valuable insights from them. Keep us updated on your experience!

1. What is supersymmetry?

Supersymmetry is a theoretical concept in physics that proposes the existence of a symmetry between matter particles and force particles. It suggests that for every known particle, there is a partner particle with a different spin value. This theory aims to solve some of the unanswered questions in particle physics, such as the hierarchy problem and the existence of dark matter.

2. What are extra dimensions?

Extra dimensions refer to additional spatial dimensions beyond the three dimensions (length, width, and height) that we are familiar with. The concept of extra dimensions arises from certain theories, such as string theory, which propose that the universe contains more than just the three dimensions we can perceive. These extra dimensions are thought to be compactified or "curled up" at a microscopic scale, making them undetectable to us.

3. What is the Higgs boson?

The Higgs boson is a subatomic particle that was predicted by the Standard Model of particle physics. It is responsible for giving other particles their mass through interactions with the Higgs field. This field permeates the entire universe and gives particles their mass. The existence of the Higgs boson was confirmed by experiments at the Large Hadron Collider in 2012.

4. How are supersymmetry, extra dimensions, and Higgs bosons related?

Supersymmetry, extra dimensions, and Higgs bosons are all concepts that have been proposed to explain some of the mysteries of particle physics. Supersymmetry predicts the existence of additional particles, including a partner for the Higgs boson. Extra dimensions are a possible solution to the hierarchy problem and could help explain the existence of dark matter. Higgs bosons are key players in the mechanism that gives particles their mass and are important in many theories, including supersymmetry and extra dimensions.

5. Has supersymmetry, extra dimensions, or the Higgs boson been proven?

No, none of these concepts have been definitively proven yet. While the existence of the Higgs boson has been confirmed by experiments, the other two remain theoretical concepts that have yet to be proven through experiments. Scientists continue to search for evidence of these ideas through experiments and observations, but their existence is still a subject of ongoing research and debate in the scientific community.