Hidden variables of polarisers

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation between the blog post author and billschnieder discusses the potential impact of hidden polarizer variables on the main point of the blog post and Herbert's original explanation. The author agrees that these variables do not affect the main point and can be accounted for in the experimental design. However, they also acknowledge the possibility of inherent limitations in reducing error margins and the importance of open and respectful discourse in scientific discussions. The conversation ends with the author thanking billschnieder for their thoughtful response and emphasizing the value of collaboration in scientific progress.
georgir
This post is my reply to a blog comment by billschnieder, since I do not think it is wise to start a discussion in the blog's comments directly, nor in private messages, because of both the reduced visibility of the discussion and the increased spam-like characteristics of such communication for the blog's poster or bill's pm inbox respectively.

https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?bt=6779

In summary, I do not think hidden polarizer variables have any bearing on the point that the blog post or Herbert's original explanation are trying to make.

Depending on the effect they have, they can either be dismissed completely, be considered as something to go along with the polarizer settings and still keep the point of the blog post or Herbert's original explanation valid, or they can make the whole experiment pointless but in a way that will be obvious and detectable.

More specifically, hidden polarizer variables could affect the QM predicted 100% coincidence rate with matching polarizer settings in two ways: result in non-detections at one or both of the polarizers, or result in opposite detections. The first way would contribute to "detector inefficiency" and the second to "experimental error" margins. The important thing here is that you can measure those effects, know their average magnitude, and know if it is enough to cause violations to the inequality as high as the QM prediction, making your experiment pointless.

There is no case where these hidden variables could conspire to mask themselves as insignificant for matching polarizer settings and then cause a significant deviation for non-matching polarizer settings, because they and their effect should be local to each polarizer.

If the effect is small enough, i.e. you get close to 100% coincidence rate with matching polarizer settings, you can just ignore these "polarizer hidden variables", or include their worst case in your calculations. For example, a 5% effect could increase the (0 deg;30 deg) and (-30deg; 0 deg) mismatch from 25% to 30% and could decrease the (-30 deg; 30 deg) mismatch from 75% to 70%... but that still is inconsistent with local determinism. A 10% margin of error on the other hand would make this experiment pointless.

Since the idea of examples like this is that eventually, experimental setups will get good enough to get such error margins down to 0, I think their point is valid and unaffected by your objections.

If you have a reason to believe that the error margin can not possibly be reduced sufficiently, that is another subject entirely. I guess it may indeed be the case that QM itself leads to some minimal percentage of non-detections, and angle-dependent non-detections are indeed one of the ways (the only way I personally know, actually) to build a local deterministic model matching QM predictions after non-detections get filtered out of the data.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear billschnieder,

Thank you for your comment on the blog post. I appreciate your concerns about starting a discussion in the comments or through private messages. I believe that open and respectful discourse is important in scientific discussions, and I am glad to see that you have taken the time to respond in a more formal setting.

I agree with your assessment that hidden polarizer variables do not have any bearing on the main point of the blog post or Herbert's explanation. As you have mentioned, these variables can either be dismissed completely or accounted for in the experimental design. And as you have pointed out, even if these variables do affect the coincidence rate at non-matching polarizer settings, they would still be inconsistent with local determinism.

I also agree that as experimental setups continue to improve, the error margins will decrease and the validity of the main point will remain unaffected. However, I do think it is important to consider the possibility that there may be some inherent limitations in our ability to reduce these error margins. As you have mentioned, QM itself may lead to a minimal percentage of non-detections, and this could be a limitation that we need to take into account in our models.

Overall, I appreciate your thoughtful response and I believe that your points add valuable insights to the discussion. Science is a collaborative effort and I believe that engaging in respectful and open discussions like this is essential for progress and understanding. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

1. What are hidden variables of polarisers?

Hidden variables of polarisers refer to the unseen factors that affect the behavior of polarised light passing through a polariser. These factors include the orientation of the polariser, the angle of incident light, and the wavelength of the light.

2. How do hidden variables affect polarisation?

Hidden variables can affect polarisation by altering the intensity and direction of polarised light passing through a polariser. They can also impact the efficiency of polarisation and the angle of maximum polarisation.

3. Can hidden variables be controlled?

While some hidden variables, such as the orientation of the polariser, can be controlled by the user, others, like the wavelength of light, cannot be easily manipulated. However, scientists continue to study ways to control and manipulate hidden variables to improve polarisation techniques.

4. Why are hidden variables important to understand?

Understanding hidden variables is crucial for accurately interpreting polarisation experiments and data. It also allows scientists to improve polarisation techniques and develop new applications for polarised light in various fields, including biology, chemistry, and physics.

5. What are some current research areas related to hidden variables of polarisers?

Current research on hidden variables of polarisers includes investigating new materials and techniques for controlling polarisation, studying the relationship between hidden variables and polarisation in different environments, and exploring the potential applications of polarised light in fields such as telecommunications and medicine.