Double-Slit Interference in Quantum Mechanics

In summary, the source of light in the double-slit interference experiment needs to have the same frequency and be coherent, but polarization and phase differences do not significantly impact the results. In quantum mechanics, particles are represented by wave functions with frequency and phase, and polarization is related to spin. The fundamental laws of quantum mechanics are all that is necessary to explain the experiment. However, the usual approach to teaching quantum mechanics may not fully explain the experiment and it may be better to start with the conceptual core of the theory.
Robert_G
Hi, there

Today, a friend came to me and asked the following questions and they made me confused.
If the source is strong, the light has to be considered as wave, and the double-slit interference (DSI) can be interpreted, and the conditions for the DSI is (1) same frequencies, (2) parallel polarization, and (3) constant phase differences.

If the source is week, one photon after one photon, for example. DSI will give us spots at the beginning; but give it a long time, the pattern will be formed.

Both of us never check it in the laboratory, we just read it from the book. However, In the "Quantum Mechanics" books, the above three conditions never be mentioned, As if those conditions does not mattered anymore.

In my opinion, All the three conditions are still needed. The character of frequency, polarization and phase difference are still with photons. Just look at the formulas of the creation and annihilation operators for the field. However, I can not* explain what the frequency, polarization and phase difference means to the particles (photons here), So I can not convince him, and my dear friend insists that those three conditions fade away in Quantum mechanics.

If we use the electrons in the DSI experiment, the coherent source is still need, right?

So, what you think?

*: The word "not" is added by author after the submission of this post.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would say that you certainly need all the photons (or electrons) to have the same frequency, but I don't think polarization or phase differences matter.

Robert_G said:
However, I can explain what the frequency, polarization and phase difference means to the particles (photons here), So I can not convince him, and my dear friend insists that those three conditions fade away in Quantum mechanics.

I assume you mean that you can't explain these terms.

In QM, particles are represented by a wave function ( see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_function ). The frequency and phase of a particle just refer to the frequency and phase of its associated wave function.

Polarization is a bit trickier. In particle physics, polarization is the same as spin, and spin is the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle.

Likes 1 person
You can see that those 3 conditions are not really necessary if you send through a photon at a time. So the question really is, to what extent are those conditions necessary if you send through a bunch of photons as a group. The answer is that you do not want the photons to destructively interfere with each other as this will mess up the interference pattern. Further, the frequency affects the width of the pattern, so mixing different of those would have an effect.

But all of these cases are still explained by QM. The only difference is that the "bunch at a time" case is also classically explainable.

Likes 1 person
Those three conditions are not necessary for an explanation.

The fundamental laws of QM are all that's required:
http://arxiv.org/ftp/quant-ph/papers/0703/0703126.pdf

One of the issues here is the double slit experiment is often used to motivate the QM formalism, but the reverse isn't often done, ie going back and showing how that formalism explains it.

That's one reason I don't like the usual approach to QM that is sort of semi historical - you really need to unlearn the ideas that fathered QM such as matter waves etc etc - but that is rarely ever done. Much better to start with its conceptual core to begin with:
http://www.scottaaronson.com/democritus/lec9.html

Thanks
Bill

Likes 1 person
dEdt said:
I would say that you certainly need all the photons (or electrons) to have the same frequency, but I don't think polarization or phase differences matter.

I assume you mean that you can't explain these terms.

In QM, particles are represented by a wave function ( see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_function ). The frequency and phase of a particle just refer to the frequency and phase of its associated wave function.

Polarization is a bit trickier. In particle physics, polarization is the same as spin, and spin is the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle.

I mean can't, sorry. better changing it.

I think the picture is more and more clear to me now, after reading all the above replies. The frequency of the wave function is the frequency of the light. Considering the Einstein's formula for the energy of photons and Schrodinger Equation, this just make sense. No matter whether wave function describes the probability of the single particle or an ensemble of them, the probability at a given position is oscillating at this frequency which coincide with that of corresponding classical light-wave. Since the path of the photon is limited by the "slit" which is not that narrow, the change of momentum is brought up according to the uncertainty principle, and the wave-function on the surface of the receiver is some kind of "wave-pack". and In that "wave-pack", the pattern appears. The frequencies should be same, and the coherence source is still needed. For the polarization, it seams to me that it is not matter in the quantum mechanics. Even if we can see those tiny spots on the receiver, they should be pattered spots which the chaos of the all kinds of polarization.

1. What is the double-slit experiment in quantum mechanics?

The double-slit experiment is a fundamental experiment in quantum mechanics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of matter. It involves shining a beam of particles, such as electrons, through two parallel slits and observing the interference pattern that forms on a screen behind the slits.

2. What is the significance of the double-slit experiment in quantum mechanics?

The double-slit experiment is significant because it shows that particles, such as electrons, can exhibit wave-like behavior and interfere with themselves. This challenges the classical understanding of particles as distinct, solid objects and provides evidence for the principles of quantum mechanics.

3. How does the double-slit experiment work?

The double-slit experiment involves passing a beam of particles, such as electrons, through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen. The particles can behave as waves and interfere with each other, creating a pattern of bright and dark fringes on the screen.

4. What is the relationship between the double-slit experiment and the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics?

The double-slit experiment is closely related to the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics. The uncertainty principle states that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be precisely known at the same time. In the double-slit experiment, the act of observing the particles changes their behavior, making it impossible to know both their position and momentum at the same time.

5. What are the implications of the double-slit experiment in understanding the nature of reality?

The double-slit experiment and other experiments in quantum mechanics have challenged our understanding of reality and the nature of matter. It suggests that particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously and that our observations can affect their behavior. This has led to new theories and interpretations about the fundamental nature of the universe.