Measurement of singularity as a particle inside event horizon

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of treating a singularity as a particle in quantum physics and the implications for measurement and uncertainty within the event horizon of a black hole. The question also arises about the validity of measuring the mass of a black hole from inside the event horizon. The conversation also mentions the potential for a human to free-fall past the event horizon of a super-massive black hole without being torn apart.
nomadreid
Gold Member
Although the subject line might seem to put this question inside general relativity, the reason I put it in quantum physics is because I would like to know what happens when one treats a singularity as a particle. Obviously from outside the event horizon, one cannot do this, but inside the event horizon the situation is different. Nonetheless, if anyone thinks the thread should be moved, I would have no objection.

I know that the current physics largely breaks down at the singularity, but assuming that some sort of physical laws will eventually be formulated that can deal with the presence of the singularity, the first question which arises is that of measurement.

Inside the event horizon, a direct measurement of the singularity by bouncing photons off of it would be impossible. However, the behavior of photons and other particles around the singularity would be measurable: could these provide a means for an indirect measurement of the singularity?

If a measurement is indeed possible, what would be the status of the uncertainty principle? Is the fact that σx =0 give an absurdity for σp or does it just mean that we cannot know anything about the momentum? Wouldn't there be any finite bound on the spectrum of the momentum?

Although outside the event horizon we can know the mass of the black hole, an observer inside the event horizon could not measure the size of the event horizon to get the mass, right? At best an observer could measure the mass from outside, then enter the event horizon and assume that the mass had stayed the approximately the same within certain bounds. Would this be valid?

(To forestall the obvious: the observers would obviously not be human.)

Physics news on Phys.org
You could, in principle, get a human of free-fall past the event horizon of a super-massive black hole without being torn apart.

You question amounts to what an in-falling observer would be able to see as the singularity is approached.
i.e. as concerns other infalling objects.

Definately not QM.

Likes 1 person
Thanks, Simon Bridge.
Oops, I forget how to move this thread to a more appropriate topic (General Relativity): it's not in "Thread tools", and this does not seem to be covered in "Help". I don't find any other relevant buttons to click. Help?

1. What is singularity in the context of particle physics?

Singularity in particle physics refers to a point in space where the laws of physics break down and traditional equations are unable to accurately describe the behavior of matter and energy. It is often associated with extremely high densities and gravitational forces, such as those found in black holes.

2. How is singularity measured as a particle inside the event horizon?

Singularity cannot be directly measured as a particle inside the event horizon of a black hole, as the extreme gravitational forces prevent any information from escaping. However, scientists use mathematical models and theories, such as General Relativity, to make predictions about the behavior of matter and energy at the singularity.

3. Can singularity be observed through experiments or telescopes?

No, singularity cannot be observed through experiments or telescopes. As mentioned before, the extreme gravitational forces make it impossible for any information or light to escape from the singularity, making it impossible to directly observe.

4. How do scientists study singularity as a particle inside the event horizon?

Scientists study singularity by using mathematical models and theories, such as General Relativity, to make predictions about its behavior. They also use data from observations of the effects of black holes, such as gravitational lensing, to further understand the properties of singularity.

5. What are the implications of understanding singularity as a particle inside the event horizon?

Understanding singularity as a particle inside the event horizon can help scientists further understand the fundamental laws of physics, such as gravity and the behavior of matter and energy in extreme conditions. It can also lead to advancements in technologies, such as space travel and communication, that rely on our understanding of these laws.