Graphical Velocity Determination

In summary, a physics student on Planet Exidor is trying to determine the velocity of a ball at t=0.00 s, given its position and velocity at t=1.00 s. The ball follows a parabolic trajectory and its position is shown at 1.00 s intervals until t=3.00 s. The velocity at t=1.00 s is given as v=(1.95i+2.32j) m/s and the student has been unable to make any progress using the kinematic equations, considering that acceleration due to gravity only affects the y direction. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
mathewings
Below is the first in a series of questions that build on one another; however I cannot solve this initial one. Any help is appreciated.

A physics student on Planet Exidor throws a ball, and it follows the parabolic trajectory shown. The ball's position is shown at 1.00 s intervals until t=3.00 s. At t=1.00 s, the ball's velocity is v=(1.95i+2.32j) m/s. Determine the ball's velocity at t=0.00 s. (Enter your answer in component form. Input the x-component first, followed by the y-component.)

Attachments

• kn-pic0608.png
    kn-pic0608.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 416
Physics news on Phys.org
what have you done so far? any quess or attempts you have tried?

I've been thinking it over for some time. I can't get anywhere with it. I've done nothing.

look at your kinematic equations and remember acceleration due to gravity is only in the y direction.

1. How is velocity calculated using graphical methods?

Velocity can be calculated using the slope of a position vs. time graph. The slope represents the rate of change of position, which is equal to velocity.

2. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is calculated over a certain time interval, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific moment in time. Instantaneous velocity can be found by drawing a tangent line to a position vs. time graph at a specific point.

3. Can graphical velocity determination be used for objects with changing acceleration?

Yes, graphical methods can still be used for objects with changing acceleration. The slope of a velocity vs. time graph represents the acceleration of an object.

4. How can the direction of velocity be determined using graphical methods?

The direction of velocity can be determined by looking at the slope of the position vs. time graph. A positive slope indicates motion in the positive direction, while a negative slope indicates motion in the negative direction.

5. What are the limitations of using graphical methods for velocity determination?

Graphical methods can only provide an estimate of velocity, as the accuracy depends on the scale and accuracy of the graph. Additionally, it may be difficult to determine the exact velocity for objects with non-linear motion.