Nuclear engineering book with answer to questions

In summary, the speaker is taking a nuclear engineering course and using the Lamarsh text, but is struggling because there is no answer key and the professor cannot provide assistance. They learn best through working on problems, but are unable to do so without knowing if their answers are correct. They are also having trouble finding additional resources due to the lack of new books on nuclear engineering.
koab1mjr
I am taking a nuclear engineering course my first one, and we are using the Lamarsh text Intro text. The problem is that there isn't an answer key.

I am sort of struggling with the class because I cannot try problems because I have no way of knowing if I arrive at the right answer. My professor does not have a solution manual if it exist and really cannot provide any assistance.

I learn best by working through problems and learnign to apply the theory. How am I supposed to learn? I noticed the same thing for Krane's Intro to Nuclear physics.

Since there isn't a new book for nuclear engineering written the past 4 decades what can I use to drill problems (elementary level) so I can do well in the class.

Any help is much appreciated?

Physics news on Phys.org

koab1mjr said:
I am taking a nuclear engineering course my first one, and we are using the Lamarsh text Intro text. The problem is that there isn't an answer key.

I am sort of struggling with the class because I cannot try problems because I have no way of knowing if I arrive at the right answer. My professor does not have a solution manual if it exist and really cannot provide any assistance.

I learn best by working through problems and learnign to apply the theory. How am I supposed to learn? I noticed the same thing for Krane's Intro to Nuclear physics.

Since there isn't a new book for nuclear engineering written the past 4 decades what can I use to drill problems (elementary level) so I can do well in the class.

Any help is much appreciated?

The solution manual to the Lamarsh text is available.
Do you have it?

1. What topics are covered in a nuclear engineering book?

A nuclear engineering book typically covers topics such as nuclear physics, reactor design and operation, nuclear materials and fuel, radiation protection, and nuclear waste management.

2. How is nuclear engineering different from other types of engineering?

Nuclear engineering is a specialized field that focuses on the design, development, and operation of nuclear reactors and other nuclear systems. It involves the use of nuclear reactions to generate power, produce medical isotopes, and conduct research.

3. Is a background in physics necessary to understand nuclear engineering?

While a background in physics can be helpful, it is not necessary to understand nuclear engineering. Many nuclear engineering textbooks provide a thorough overview of the fundamental principles and concepts needed to understand the field.

4. Are there any safety concerns associated with nuclear engineering?

Yes, safety is a critical aspect of nuclear engineering. Nuclear engineers must follow strict protocols and regulations to ensure the safe operation of nuclear systems and prevent accidents. Safety measures also include proper handling and disposal of nuclear waste.

5. Are there any real-world applications of nuclear engineering?

Yes, nuclear engineering has many real-world applications. For example, nuclear power plants use nuclear reactions to generate electricity, nuclear medicine uses radioactive materials for medical diagnostics and treatments, and nuclear research is used in various fields such as materials science and space exploration.