Finding Solace in Favourite Quotes: Escaping Despair with Words of Wisdom

• Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about sharing favorite quotes. Some of the mentioned quotes were from famous people like Maynard James Keenan, Robin Williams, Friedrich Nietzsche, and Lao Tzu. Other quotes were from movies like The Godfather and The Fugitive. Some were humorous, some were thought-provoking, and some were just silly. The conversation also touched on the topic of mistakes and the English language. Overall, the conversation was a mix of humor and insightful thoughts.
  • #1,611
Steel true Blade straight- epitah of A.C. Doyle
The Owl Of Minerva Flies At Night.
Nullius in Verba.
Time is what a clock reads.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,612
Bacle2 said:
" Parents work hard to give their children a better life than they had, only to then complain that
their children have it too easy." Unknown.

Amen to that.

• #1,613
Never let anyone watch your back,
They just might decide to stab it...
---I myself; in a really paranoid and sociopathic mood.
:screwy:

Last edited:
  • #1,614
"I am a brain ,
Watson. The rest of me is a mere
appendix."
--S.H.
Hmmm... just noticed Hawking and Holmes have same initials...

• #1,615
"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

• #1,616
"It is not knowledge, but the act of learning, not possession but the act of getting there, which grants the greatest enjoyment." - Gauss

• #1,617
I was amused when I read

"As we all know, physics is to a large extent described by a Taylor expansion to some low order, and cosmology is no exception."

This appears near the start of the chapter "Basics of cosmological perturbation theory" in the grad-level book "Dark Energy: Theory and Observations" by Amendola and Tsujikawa.

• #1,618
I never learned to drive. As a kid, I saw too many fatal accidents and I grew up hating the idea. Automobiles slaughter 40,000 people a year, maim a hundred thousand more, and bring out the worst in men. Any society where a natural man — the pedestrian — becomes the intruder, and an unnatural men encased in a steel shell becomes his molester, is a science fiction nightmare.

- Ray Bradbury

• #1,619
"How it is that anything so remarkable as a state of consciousness comes about as a result of irritating nervous tissue, is just as unaccountable as the appearance of Djin when Aladdin rubbed his lamp."

• #1,620
the world is faceing one of the biggest crisis in the history of history,
girls are getting hotter and hotter
-AXE

• #1,621
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."
-Voltaire

• #1,622
"I am no poet, but if you think for yourselves, as I proceed, the facts will form a poem in your minds."
- Michael Faraday

• #1,623
My passionate sense of social justice and social responsibility has always contrasted oddly with my pronounced lack of need for direct contact with other human beings and human communities.I am truly a " lone traveler " and have never belonged to my country, my home, my friends, or even my immediate family, with my whole heart; in the face of all these ties, I have never lost a sense of distance and a need for solitude-feelings which increase with the years.One becomes sharply aware,but without regret, of the limits of mutual understanding and consonance with other people. no doubt, such a person loses some of his innocence and unconcern; on the other hand, he is largely independent of the opinions, habits, and judgments of his fellows and avoids the temptation to build his inner equilibrium upon such insecure foundations.-Albert Einstien

• #1,624
##\mathcal "Omne \ ignotum \ pro \ magnifico"##
"Everything unknown passes for something splendid"
-Tacitus, Life of Agricola.

• #1,625
krash661 said:
My passionate sense of social justice and social responsibility has always contrasted oddly with my pronounced lack of need for direct contact with other human beings and human communities.I am truly a " lone traveler " and have never belonged to my country, my home, my friends, or even my immediate family, with my whole heart; in the face of all these ties, I have never lost a sense of distance and a need for solitude-feelings which increase with the years.One becomes sharply aware,but without regret, of the limits of mutual understanding and consonance with other people. no doubt, such a person loses some of his innocence and unconcern; on the other hand, he is largely independent of the opinions, habits, and judgments of his fellows and avoids the temptation to build his inner equilibrium upon such insecure foundations.-Albert Einstien

Albert EinstEIN* Sorry, but I had to do this.

• #1,626
"Causing people to suffer because you hate them is terrible, but causing people to suffer because you have forgotten how to care... that's really hard to understand."

Dr. Julian Bashir (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)

• #1,627
Bender as he stretches out on the beach under the sun...

"Ahh sweet photons, I don't now if you're waves or particles, but you go down smooth."

• #1,628
Physica forums est maximum et optimum
:tongue2:

Last edited:
  • #1,630
The guillotine's use was actually advocated as it was considered more humane than using an axe or a sword (took generally more than one stroke) or hanging (took a longer time).
On a lighter note:
“There is only one cure for grey hair. It was invented by a Frenchman. It is called the guillotine.”
― P.G. Wodehouse

• #1,631
Frank Ocean — 'Don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.'

• #1,632
We want to live by each other's happiness, not by each other's misery.
Charles Chaplin as the Great Dictator.
(skip to 1:06)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,633
"Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none."
--- Benjamin Franklin

• #1,634
It's not really a quote, more a speech

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.

Recognize that the very molecules that make up your body, the atoms that construct the molecules, are traceable to the crucibles that were once the centers of high mass stars that exploded their chemically rich guts into the galaxy, enriching pristine gas clouds with the chemistry of life. For this reason, we are biologically connected to every other living thing in the world. We are chemically connected to all molecules on Earth. And we are atomically connected to all atoms in the universe. We are not figuratively, but literally stardust. It’s not that we are better than the universe, we are part of the universe. We are in the universe and the universe is in us.

The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of stardust."

Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson

• #1,636
Ivan Seeking said:
The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
-- Bertrand Russell,
Are you cocksure about that?

• #1,637
MathJakob said:
"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.
While scientific theories can be disproved, they are never proven "true" -- there are only theories more well supported than others. This is a statement of scientism.

• #1,638
lambda90 said:
Are you cocksure about that?

lambda90 said:
While scientific theories can be disproved, they are never proven "true" -- there are only theories more well supported than others. This is a statement of scientism.

Is there some subtle joke here? Is it only on my device that I can see two posts by lambda90 and that his total number of posts is 0? Apparently 0 ≥ 2.

Anyway what he cites us not an example of 'scientism' which is a derogatory term used to describe certain superficial ideological misapplications of the general idea of science.

Last edited:
  • #1,639
epenguin said:
Is there some subtle joke here? Is it only on my device that I can see two posts by lambda90 and that his total number of posts is 0? Apparently 0 =/> 2.

Anyway what he cites us not an example of 'scientism' which is a derogatory term used to describe certain superficial ideological misapplications of the general idea of science.
Are you forgetting that General Discussion posts don't count toward your post count?

• #1,640
Borg said:
Are you forgetting that General Discussion posts don't count toward your post count?

I had not forgotten that because I did not know it till now. Not such a bad rule I guess, or at least understandable. creep creep

• #1,641
Have we had this one already?

La pensée ne doit jamais se soumettre, ni à un dogme, ni à un parti, ni à une passion, ni à un intérêt, ni à une idée préconçue, ni à quoi que ce soit, si ce n'est aux faits eux-mêmes, parce que, pour elle, se soumettre, ce serait cesser d'être.

Thought must never submit itself, neither to a dogma, nor to a party, nor to a passion, nor to an interest, nor to a preconceived idea, nor to anything whatever, other than to facts themselves, because, for it, to submit would be to cease to be.

Henri Poincaré

Last edited:
  • #1,642
"The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success." Bruce Feirstein

• #1,643
JayJohn85 said:
"The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success." Bruce Feirstein

Reminded me of another quote about distance:

Civilization is the distance that man has placed between himself and his own excreta.

-Brian W. Aldiss

• #1,644
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates un-barred and its walls unguarded

Guard yourselves against the liberal.

• #1,645
A closed mind is like a closed book; just a block of wood.
--- Chinese Proverb​

Guard yourselves from the head-shaped oaken block.

-------------------------------
blockhead (n.)
also block-head, ... 1540s (implied in blockheaded), from block (n.) + head (n.); probably originally an image of the head-shaped oaken block used by hat-makers, though the insulting sense is the older one.