Vacuum bags inflating in Cryogenic Storage

In summary, the conversation discusses an interesting problem at the company where cryogenically stored bags sometimes inflate when removed. Theories for this include trapped air, liquid nitrogen getting into the bag, holes in the bag, and a poor seal. However, none of these have been able to be replicated as a control. One possible explanation is that gaseous nitrogen is seeping into the bags while in storage and evaporating upon removal, inflating the bags. Further experiments and analysis of the gas composition may help determine the cause.
Jimbowen1072
I work for a company which has an interesting problem. We store at cryogenic temperatures in vapour phase, not submerged in liquid. In order to protect the inner bag we place an over wrap over the inner bag then vacuum pack it, in a sterile environment. The bag is then placed into cryogenic storage. Our problem is that randomly one of the bags inflates when being removed from cryogenic storage.
Theories that surround this include trapped air, liquid nitrogen getting into the bag, holes in the bag and a poor seal none of which I have been able to replicate as a control.
My answer is that air would condense and contract when freezing and would return to its original state when thawed. How can liquid nitrogen get into the bag when it doesn't come into contact with the liquid nitrogen?
Does anyone out there have any other theories as to what happens which might explain the expansion as the bag is thawed.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the bag expands when warmed, then something has changed from liquid (or solid) to the gas state during the warming process.

If you have access to a laboratory the gas content could be analyzed - there are many possible techniques such as mass spectroscopy, or a residual gas analyzer, etc.

Once you know the gas composition you can work on how it is entering the bags.

Hi Jimbowen1072,

If the bag or the seal is faulty, gaseous nitrogen, as well as any other gases present can and will seep into the vacuum bag while in storage, condensing on the inner walls and the overwrap. Once out of the storage, it evaporates inflating the bag.

Thank you for your responses. I think that seepage might be a possibility and conducting short experiments might not be long enough to pick this up. It might be that the LN2 is taking hours or possibly even days to seep into levels that cause expansion which is why I haven't been able to replicate the problem with short tests.

There are a few potential explanations for the inflation of the vacuum bags in cryogenic storage. One possibility could be due to the thermal expansion of air trapped within the bag. As the bag is cooled to cryogenic temperatures, the air inside will condense and decrease in volume. However, when the bag is removed from storage and allowed to warm up, the air will expand and could potentially cause the bag to inflate.

Another possibility could be that there is a small amount of liquid nitrogen getting into the bag during the vacuum sealing process. This could happen if there are small cracks or holes in the bag that are not visible to the naked eye. As the liquid nitrogen evaporates and turns to gas, it could cause the bag to inflate.

It is also possible that there are small holes or leaks in the bag that are not being detected during the sealing process. This could allow gas to enter the bag and cause it to inflate when the temperature increases.

In order to determine the exact cause of the inflation, it may be helpful to conduct further experiments and tests. This could include using more sensitive equipment to check for leaks or conducting experiments with different sealing methods to see if there is any difference in the inflation rate.

Overall, it is important to continue investigating and gathering data in order to accurately determine the cause of the inflation and find a solution to prevent it from happening in the future.

1. What causes vacuum bags to inflate in cryogenic storage?

The most common cause of vacuum bags inflating in cryogenic storage is the formation of gas due to the sublimation of frozen materials inside the bag. This gas cannot escape the sealed bag, causing it to inflate.

2. Is it safe to use vacuum bags in cryogenic storage?

Yes, vacuum bags are safe to use in cryogenic storage as long as they are specifically designed for this purpose and can withstand extreme temperatures. However, it is important to regularly monitor the bags for signs of inflation or damage.

3. How can I prevent vacuum bags from inflating in cryogenic storage?

To prevent vacuum bags from inflating in cryogenic storage, it is important to use bags with a strong seal and to properly remove any excess air before sealing them. Additionally, regularly checking and maintaining the temperature and pressure in the storage environment can also help prevent inflation.

4. Can vacuum bags be reused in cryogenic storage?

It is not recommended to reuse vacuum bags in cryogenic storage as they may become damaged or weakened over time, increasing the risk of gas leakage and potential contamination of the frozen materials inside.

5. What should I do if I notice a vacuum bag inflating in cryogenic storage?

If you notice a vacuum bag inflating in cryogenic storage, it is important to remove the bag and safely dispose of it. The frozen materials inside may need to be transferred to a new bag or container to prevent any potential contamination. It is also important to investigate the cause of the inflation and take necessary steps to prevent it from happening again in the future.