Hooke's law - Natural Extension of Spring

In summary, the person is trying to find the extension of a spring without any mass attached to it, but is unsure how to do so. They initially thought that with no mass, the force would be zero and the spring constant would be equal to the extension, but they were getting a large and incorrect answer. It is then clarified that the spring is vertical and the question does not provide the mass of the spring. The solution is to solve for x by setting the force/mass to 0 and then plugging in the value for the spring constant.
Emz19
Can I find out the natural extension of a spring if I am only given the mass of a block that can be put on it and the value of the spring constant? I have found x ( from the formula F = -kx ) when the block is on it but I now need to find the extension of the spring with no mass on the end. It is probably really simple but I am just a little stuck! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
With no mass attached, what is F? Plug that value in and solve for x. Or am I missing something?

well I thought with no mass the force is zero but then is the k equal to x? See, i was getting a big answer then for x and it didnt seem like the right answer. I am definitely missing something very obvious here

How heavy is the spring itself? Is the spring vertical or horizontal?

The spring is vertical and the question does not give the mass of the spring.

Emz19 said:
well I thought with no mass the force is zero but then is the k equal to x?

No, k is not equal to x in that case. Recall your algebra, you have to do the same thing to both sides to isolate the variable you want. Solve for x by doing the same thing to both sides then plug in 0 for mass/force (you can plug in the zero first, but its usually easier to solve first then plug in).

Ok great, thanks a mill :)

1. What is Hooke's law?

Hooke's law is a principle in physics that describes the relationship between the force applied to an elastic material, such as a spring, and the resulting extension or compression of the material.

2. Who discovered Hooke's law?

Hooke's law was first stated by the 17th-century English scientist Robert Hooke in 1660.

3. What is the formula for Hooke's law?

The formula for Hooke's law is F = -kx, where F is the force applied, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement or extension of the material.

4. What does the spring constant represent in Hooke's law?

The spring constant, represented by k, is a measure of the stiffness of the material. It is a constant value that determines how much force is needed to produce a certain amount of extension or compression in the material.

5. Is Hooke's law applicable to all materials?

Hooke's law is only applicable to materials that have a linear relationship between force and displacement. This means that the material behaves elastically and returns to its original shape after the force is removed. Some materials, such as rubber, do not follow Hooke's law as their behavior is non-linear.