Tension of strings at different angles:

In summary, the two tensions in the strings must add up to 45 N in order for the object to be in equilibrium. However, if the two angles are different, the tensions will not add up to 45 N.
mms05
Hi there- I've been trying to solve this problem for the last hour, and I still feel stuck! So far, I've only seen problems with equal angles between the strings and the horizontal- I have no idea how to solve a problem when there's two different angles!

A 45-N lithograph is supported by two wires. One wire makes a 25 degree angle with the vertical and the other makes a 15 degree angle with the vertical. Find the tension in each wire.

I thought that the Tensions of strings 1 and 2 should both add up to 45 N (because the object is in equilibrium), but apparently I'm wrong. Why is my logic off?

Physics news on Phys.org
mms05 said:
Hi there- I've been trying to solve this problem for the last hour, and I still feel stuck! So far, I've only seen problems with equal angles between the strings and the horizontal- I have no idea how to solve a problem when there's two different angles!

A 45-N lithograph is supported by two wires. One wire makes a 25 degree angle with the vertical and the other makes a 15 degree angle with the vertical. Find the tension in each wire.

I thought that the Tensions of strings 1 and 2 should both add up to 45 N (because the object is in equilibrium), but apparently I'm wrong. Why is my logic off?

Forces are *vectors*!

You must decompose all the forces into their x and y components. Then you must impose that the net force along x is zero and the net force along y is zero. You will have two equations with two unknowns (being the magnitude of the two tensions in the strings).

By the way, how would you do it if the two strings were both at 45 degrees (say)? Then the two euqations would be
[tex] -T_1 cos(45) +T_2 cos (45) =0
[/tex]
and
[tex] +T_1 sin(45) +T_2 sin(45) - mg =0 [/tex]
Right? The first equation shows that T_1 = T_2 (same magnitude) and then the second equation helps you find the value of each.

In your problem, the equations will be similar except that the angles will be different and you will find that T_1 and T_2 are not equal. You will have to solve two eqs with two unknowns.

Patrick

T2cos25-T1cos15= 0

T2sin25+T1sin15-45=0

Are these two equations & unknowns right? I keep getting T1 as being 34 N, but I know that cannot be right.

They're not correct. Draw a free body diagram and check your directions. Are T2cos25 and T1cos15 the vertical components or the horizontal components of the string tensions?

Last edited:
lol, ok, nevermind, I got it. I just switched the sin and cos, right? I think I drew my vertical and force vectors wrong...

Thanks for the help- I really appreciate it!

Say if I had both angles at 25 degrees each and I was solving for T1 could I express the equation as T1sin(25)x2=mg because both T1 and T2 are the same?

Hi this came up in my search for am answer and I understand how you got to the answer but can't get why you used cos for the horizontal component of tension is that gives the adjacent component which is vertical

1. What is tension and how does it affect strings at different angles?

Tension refers to the amount of force applied to an object. In the case of strings, tension is the force that pulls the string taut. At different angles, tension can vary due to the change in direction of the force.

2. How does the angle of a string affect its tension?

The angle of a string directly affects its tension. As the angle increases, the tension also increases. This is because the force acting on the string is spread out over a larger area, resulting in a greater tension.

3. Why is tension important in stringed instruments?

Tension is crucial in stringed instruments as it determines the pitch and sound produced by the strings. The tension also affects the playability and stability of the instrument.

4. How do different materials and thicknesses of strings affect tension at different angles?

The material and thickness of a string can affect its tension at different angles. Generally, thicker and stiffer strings will have a higher tension at a given angle compared to thinner and more flexible strings.

5. Can the tension of a string at different angles be accurately measured?

Yes, the tension of a string at different angles can be measured using a tension gauge or by calculating the force applied to the string using the angle and other variables such as the material and thickness of the string.