Wireless Troubles: A Day with Sprint

• Thread starter MeJennifer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wireless
In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's experience with a new Dell laptop and their attempt to set up a wireless broadband connection. They made the mistake of switching to a new provider and getting stuck with a two-year contract. They also faced difficulties with compatibility and customer support. In the end, they decided to return the laptop and go back to their previous provider. Other participants in the conversation discuss their own experiences with wireless technology and offer advice.
MeJennifer
What a day. :eek:

Just got a new dual core Dell in the house with everything on it so I figured why not add a wireless broadband connection. Is nice, can have my coffee and browse the internet at sub broadband speed right?

Now I am the kind of person who got a month to month, no nonsense, simple arrangement with a local wireless phone provider using the cheapest phone they had available. Dirt cheap and unlimited calling.
So, I had to change all that, what a mistake!

After visiting two competing high pressure "this is a special deal only for today" sales venues I decided to take a Sprint plan. A "family plan".

So two new and free the latest and greatest cell phones, bluetooth enabled, with camera and color screen, plus a EV-DO capable wireless broadband PCMCIA card. And stuck for 2 years with it!

Afterwards went to the coffeeshop and thought I be online in a jiffy. Then the trouble started, I took the card and stuck it in the slot of my new Dell. Ahhh, well that does not work anymore, PCMCIA is old, outdated. Now we have an express slot. Of course completely incompatible with PCMCIA :rolleyes:

And neither Verizon or Sprint, the only ones with EV-DO, have this kind of cards as of yet, they will arrive "soon", but we can't give you a timeframe, and have no priceplans.

So, I go home and I try it on an older laptop right. The salesperson had it all setup for me, lockout codes, access numbers, the works, all written down. I just needed to install the software and plug it in... Well at 11 PM I gave it a try, "wrong access code, please call sprint for an access code", and of course they tell you they need serial numbers, drivers license, birth date, social sec number for verification.
Well try to get support at 11 PM :smile:

Ok, so now I connect my super cool bluetooth with the Dell right? Wrong! Everything blocked, courtesy of Sprint, except for the headphones!
So if I make pictures I cannot even download them with bluetooth. Oh yes I can download them through the sprint system, 20 cents a picture, or pay more for yet another option.

So, tomorrow, I will re-enable my month to month unlimited plan with the old provider again and find a coffee shop to go online for free.

:smile:

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Dell blew it big time, they changed the slot on their new laptops before the card makers had cards available. It has given Dell a huge black eye, they're marketing people blew it. The cards are now avaliable, btw, at least Novatel has them available. If you tell me what model phone you have I can tell you if you can use it as a phone as modem, you have to have a Vision Plus plan with the phone, or it won't work. You can connect via usb if you are having trouble using it wirelessly via bluetooth.

Evo said:
Dell blew it big time, they changed the slot on their new laptops before the card makers had cards available. It has given Dell a huge black eye, they're marketing people blew it. The cards are now avaliable, btw, at least Novatel has them available. If you tell me what model phone you have I can tell you if you can use it as a phone as modem, you have to have a Vision Plus plan with the phone, or it won't work. You can connect via usb if you are having trouble using it wirelessly via bluetooth.
Thanks for the help.
But there is no need, I just finished packing the whole thing and am about to return it.

MeJennifer said:
Thanks for the help.
But there is no need, I just finished packing the whole thing and am about to return it.
Yeah, but this is handy stuff for others to know.

MeJennifer, I hope your network problems are in the past. :rolleyes:

I am reluctant to try new technology too soon. :uhh:

Astronuc said:

I am reluctant to try new technology too soon. :uhh:
I just bought Evo child a wireless broadband high speed card for her computer. 2Mbps download for $14.97 per month. I just got it in the mail today.

Evo said:
I just bought Evo child a wireless broadband high speed card for her computer. 2Mbps download for $14.97 per month. I just got it in the mail today.
Is this a wireless service (WAN) or LAN or both. My home network uses cable and wireless LAN (Wireless G), but the data comes through a fiber-optic cable. My daughter can use the wireless network at school, as well as the one at home.

Astronuc said:
Good point!

Astronuc said:
Well a few hours ago I signed up for T-Mobile hotspot, so in fact I am writing this message using my wireless card in Starbucks.
Works just fine and even the video conferencing and voip is good!

Now if only if I can connect to my home computer's Microsoft network.
I got a dynamic IP adress, but it is always on so it won't change that often, a router with fixed local adress allocations based on MAC adresses.
I suppose I can forward a particular port in NAT to do remote desktop on a particular machine but I really would like to connect to my Microsoft network. I don't know perhaps too complicated. :smile:

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
Is this a wireless service (WAN) or LAN or both. My home network uses cable and wireless LAN (Wireless G), but the data comes through a fiber-optic cable. My daughter can use the wireless network at school, as well as the one at home.
This is a wireless broadband connection card that goes inside the computer and can be used anywhere a cell phone can be used. She can be driving down the road and be online, hopefully as a passenger and not a driver.

It is not limited to WIFI spots and doesn't require to sign up and pay for wifi. Rev A will be out in January, wth Download speeds of 3.1 Mbps and upload speeds of 1.8Mbps, but it will require a new chipset.

MeJennifer said:
Good point!

Well a few hours ago I signed up for T-Mobile hotspot, so in fact I am writing this message using my wireless card in Starbucks.
Works just fine and even the video conferencing and voip is good!

Now if only if I can connect to my home computer's Microsoft network.
I got a dynamic IP adress, but it is always on so it won't change that often, a router with fixed local adress allocations based on MAC adresses.
I suppose I can forward a particular port in NAT to do remote desktop on a particular machine but I really would like to connect to my Microsoft network. I don't know perhaps too complicated. :smile:
T-mobile hotsot is limited to public places that have the service and isn't as fast as broadband. It won't work at your house.

Evo said:
T-mobile hotsot is limited to public places that have the service and isn't as fast as broadband. It won't work at your house.
In fact it is faster, while EV-DO is limited to 400-700 Kb and that is under ideal conditions the hotspot connects to land lines. Unless you have 20 people with ther laptop in Starbuck the speed is very good.
For instance right now (I just did the test) my connection speed is 1000 kbps!

Anyway, I understand that it does not work at my house. But that is not my question, I simply want to connect to my network Microsoft network at home through the internet. :smile:

Evo said:
This is a wireless broadband connection card that goes inside the computer and can be used anywhere a cell phone can be used. She can be driving down the road and be online, hopefully as a passenger and not a driver.
So this is essentially wireless high speed modem over a cellular network. Is this similar to the way Blackberry works.
Evo said:
It is not limited to WIFI spots and doesn't require to sign up and pay for wifi. Rev A will be out in January, wth Download speeds of 3.1 Mbps and upload speeds of 1.8Mbps, but it will require a new chipset.
I'm in no rush. :biggrin:

Thanks for the information. :smile:

MeJennifer said:
In fact it is faster, while EV-DO is limited to 400-700 Kb
That's only average speeds if you are not in a good reception area, 2.4Mpbs is very common and you don't have to leave the house to get it.

Evo said:
Which carrier?

MeJennifer said:
Which carrier?
That's a special, normal price is 59.99/mo for unlimited. Same offer Sprint or Verizon.

Nokia mobile connect card or something similar? Is that only 15$ / mnth in the states? Here Mobile connect cards physically arent so expensive, but u pay per MB and it costs a fortune, only Exec types use them while traveling all the time.

In fact it is faster, while EV-DO is limited to 400-700 Kb and that is under ideal conditions the hotspot connects to land lines.
Evo is correct it isn't as fast as broadband.

Try clearwire, I know they opperate in the States. http://www.clearwire.com/

This is going to be the future, mccaw is the owner, and is buying up all the frequencies he can, just like he did with Mobile market, and made a fortune (Billions). Although you can't physically 'move' and surf its coming.. Motorola just inject a lot of cash into this firm and also Intel...
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/276569_intelclearwire06.html

Last edited:

1. What is the main cause of wireless troubles with Sprint?

The main cause of wireless troubles with Sprint can vary, but it is often due to network congestion, outdated software or hardware, or physical obstructions such as buildings or terrain.

2. How can I troubleshoot my wireless issues with Sprint?

To troubleshoot wireless issues with Sprint, you can try restarting your device, checking for software updates, ensuring your device is in a location with good network coverage, or contacting Sprint customer support for further assistance.

3. Can the type of device I have affect my wireless experience with Sprint?

Yes, the type of device you have can affect your wireless experience with Sprint. Older or low-quality devices may have weaker antennas or processors, leading to slower speeds or connectivity issues.

4. Is there a way to prevent wireless troubles with Sprint?

While there is no guaranteed way to prevent all wireless troubles, you can take steps to minimize potential issues. This includes keeping your device and software up to date, using a high-quality device, and avoiding areas with known network congestion.

5. What should I do if I continue to experience wireless troubles with Sprint?

If you continue to experience wireless troubles with Sprint, it is recommended to contact their customer support for further assistance. They may be able to troubleshoot the issue or provide alternative solutions, such as switching to a different device or plan.