What kind of car do you drive?

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Drive
In summary: It's a great car for the money, though.In summary, the Honda Civic Hybrid is a good car, but you may want to look into a later year if you want the best performance. The Ford Focus is a good car for the money, but it is underpowered. The Jeep Liberty is a great car and gets great gas mileage. The Subaru Impreza is a great car, but you may compromise some mileage for the AWD.
gravenewworld
And do you like it? After getting into a car accident on Fri. my '01 Galant is totaled and I am in the market for new car. I definitely don't want a brand new car, but something that is used. I was looking into possibly getting a Volvo S40 or S60. So what kind of cars do you guys drive and would you recommend it?

Physics news on Phys.org
98' honda accord.

Its way underpowered as a 4 cylinder.

But it has never broken down on me. The transmission keeps going bad but honda changes it for free because its been recalled. I only get charged the labor.

It drives very well, but I would not recommend buying the same year as I have. A later year would be better.

If I had my choice, I would look into a used 3-series BMW.

Last edited:
I drive a my Ford F150 or my Saturn for the winter months, just because they handle the weather/salt very well. I have several vintage cars I use in the summer. And one older Lincoln I use if I half to do a lot of inner city x-way driving.
You should test drive many cars, befor you decide to buy. And of course we know all about high pressure sales people, so its best to take someone with you, that will be honest with you.
I would avoid new model years, and plan on haveing/owning it for at least 3 years. Imports keep there value better, but may cost more to fix down the road.
My taste in cars is domestic, and fast. Plus all my cars use regular gas, which has saved me some money.
Of course you'll half to keep us updated on your selection prosses. Have fun! And Glad to know you wern't hurt in the accident.

2006 Honda Civic Hybrid

I love it and would only prefer the Prius if it weren't so ugly.

hypatia said:
I drive a my Ford F150 or my Saturn for the winter months, just because they handle the weather/salt very well. I have several vintage cars I use in the summer. And one older Lincoln I use if I half to do a lot of inner city x-way driving.
You should test drive many cars, befor you decide to buy. And of course we know all about high pressure sales people, so its best to take someone with you, that will be honest with you.
I would avoid new model years, and plan on haveing/owning it for at least 3 years. Imports keep there value better, but may cost more to fix down the road.
My taste in cars is domestic, and fast. Plus all my cars use regular gas, which has saved me some money.
Of course you'll half to keep us updated on your selection prosses. Have fun! And Glad to know you wern't hurt in the accident.

LOL this was actually my 2nd car accident in less than 1 week. The other time I was in a taxi cab and it stalled out on 676 in Philly (which is a super highway) with no where to pull off the road. People were whizzing by us at 80 mph, it only took about 2 minutes before the cab got rear ended. I walked away from that accident too with just a minor concussion. I am like Bruce Willis from that movie Unbreakable. 2 car accidents+2 totaled cars+me walking away with some scrapes=priceless.

I am definitely taking my dad with me to buy a new car. He is always very slick with the sales people and always seems to get a few grand knocked off the price of the car before buying it. I was hoping to buy a car off an individual so I wouldn't have to deal with a salesman. I will keep everyone updated on my car selection. I need to buy one asap so I don't miss too many days of work, so this shouldn't take long.

Find someone who can take you to a dealers auction. You will buy the car for the best price.

I have a '04 Toyota Matrix. If you want something with a little more cargo space, but still gets 30+ mpg highway, it's a good car.

We also have a '91 Honda Civic; still going and passing DEQ emissions standards after 260,000+ miles.

I drive a jeep liberty and I absolutely love it. I used to have an olds 2dr alero which was a beautiful car, great power and great on gas (unlike the jeep haha)

I currently have a new Subaru Impreza, which I love, but you compromise some mileage for the AWD. I need the AWD for winter on the mountains here.

Before that, I had a 2001 Ford Focus. Underpowered if you wanted to go uphill with the A/C on, but great mileage, and incredibly dent resistant (with your track record, that might be a plus). It was still running great when I got rid of it, and I thought it was an excellent city car. If it weren't for the bad handling on snowy mountains, I'd have had no reason to get rid of it. It ought to be a good buy on the used market, since a lot of people buy them as a cheap first car and then upgrade. However, like Cyrus recommends on his car, I'd recommend one a few years later than mine...I got it when it was still a fairly new model, and more recent model years have worked out more of the issues that were recalls on my year.

A good question is what is your use. Since you mention Philly, is that primarily where you'll be driving it? If so, something like the Focus is excellent for those conditions...small, easy to find parking spaces to fit it, good mileage even in city conditions, good dent resistance so you won't look all dented and dinged from parking in lots, and doesn't stand out as a big target for theft or break-ins, also doesn't stand out as overly flashy to attract cops. You'd have no need for something like the Impreza in those conditions, so it's not worth the extra expense or loss in mileage.

Hondas, as others have mentioned, are also good for those types of driving conditions. I think they're more of a theft target in the Philly area though, but I could be wrong.

I drive a '94 Ford Probe GT. I find it a very nice commuter and a joy to drive. It does well on the freeway, but the manual transmission would get to be a pain on crowed city streets.

Moonbear said:
Hondas, as others have mentioned, are also good for those types of driving conditions. I think they're more of a theft target in the Philly area though, but I could be wrong.

The Honda Civic is one of the most popular theft targets out there. I think they are usually the number one most stolen car each year, or somewhere near there anyway. The F350 is the truck that is stolen the most (in my area anyway) not that you really need to worry about that anyway...just a random bit of info :tongue:

It would be helpful to know your budget...

It would be helpful to know your budget...

I could probably swing about $12-13K. Like I said, I don't want anything new.
I will be driving it mostly around the Philly area. Not to much in the city (I live in the burbs of Philly). Hondas are nice, I have had one before with no problems, but I do worry about the fact that they are stolen a lot. I have read consumer reports and they definitely like the Focus for its reliability.

gravenewworld said:
I could probably swing about $12-13K. Like I said, I don't want anything new.

I will be driving it mostly around the Philly area. Not to much in the city (I live in the burbs of Philly). Hondas are nice, I have had one before with no problems, but I do worry about the fact that they are stolen a lot. I have read consumer reports and they definitely like the Focus for its reliability.

I know a few people with diesel VW Jettas and they sure do like them. Very nice cars and a 1000km to the tank!

I have not personally driven a Subaru legacy but it looks like quite a nice vehicle, and a lot of people sure do seem to like them.

Do you prefer domestic or imports or do you really care?

I need to find out how much 12-13K is in CDN dollars so I can be a bit more helpful here :redface:

scorpa said:
I know a few people with diesel VW Jettas and they sure do like them. Very nice cars and a 1000km to the tank!

You'll want to avoid diesel in the US. It has gotten pretty expensive now, and a lot harder to find stations that sell it if you get away from the ones right at exits on interstates (the stations that cater to tractor trailer drivers).

:rofl: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Omg this is funny...

Last edited by a moderator:
Our last four cars have been Toyotas. Total miles...~700,000 so far. We should get another 100K each on the two that we have. I think Tsu had another Toyota before we met.

Currently we also have an old '68 Chevy pick-up, with a 396 [huah!], as a farm/utility truck. It only sees about fifty miles a year though. The coolest cars that I have ever owned were a 240Z, and an MG Midget. Had some fast bikes too.

Moonbear said:
You'll want to avoid diesel in the US. It has gotten pretty expensive now, and a lot harder to find stations that sell it if you get away from the ones right at exits on interstates (the stations that cater to tractor trailer drivers).

Although, depending on the location, one might consider biodiesel as an option.
http://www.nearbio.com/nearbio/index.shtml

cyrusabdollahi said:

:rofl: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Omg this is funny...

That was HILARIOUS!

Moonbear said:

Your right Moonbear I always forget that in the city getting diesel can be a bit of a hassle. Maybe avoid the diesel.

I bought an '05 Jeep Wrangler about 3 weeks ago. It's the Unlimited Rubicon version with Dana 44 axles, both front and back lockers, a 4.10:1 gear ratio, and 4.0 L 6-cylinder engine.

It has a soft top, so I can't wait for warm weather (literally, if it's sunny and pretty close to 60 ... then it must be sunny and at least 40 in the mountains, eh ... well, I've at least had the top off in the city a couple days).

http://img483.imageshack.us/img483/2293/spring018yr0.jpg

I used to have BMW Z3, bought it for almost nothing, the last owner was leaving the country in less then a week, and wanted fast cash, paid him 3000$ for the car...
last year some drunk was driving fast near my place and crashed into the car, well you couldn't recognize it as a car after that crash..
so without any wheels for now.
That's a lesson for you kids, easy come easy go!

I ride a bike :biggrin:

I drive a Saxo VTR and a Caterham type jobbie.

With work, I get Volvo S40s and S60s quite a lot, I'd definitely consider buying one if I was in that market. The D5 engine is a peach.

Renault megane. One of the best engines in production and very much under-rated. Lovely drive. Unavailable in the american market though.

I drive a scooter and a Dodge Neon. I want to get rid of the Neon, but it's running fine. I just have nowhere to put it once I take it off the road.

2007 Mazda Miata. LOVE IT!

Kurdt said:
Renault megane. One of the best engines in production and very much under-rated. Lovely drive. Unavailable in the american market though.
I know the guy who helps design the gear boxes on those things. It is good (read not bad) for a French car :smile:

Mines a VW Golf right now.. I want the Alfa Romeo Spider :!)

http://www.spider.alfaromeo.com/

Anttech said:
I know the guy who helps design the gear boxes on those things. It is good (read not bad) for a French car :smile:

Well i know who to contact if it ever goes wrong :tongue2:

I would reccomend that you stick to japanese cars, all other countries are making ridiculously unreliable cars at the moment.

I commute year-round on my sportbike. Right now my primary ride is a 2005 Buell Firebolt XB-12R. The Buell is the American sportbike built with a variation of a Harley V-twin engine.

I did some looking and driving today, and I have to say I was really impressed with the Toyota Corolla S. The new body makes it have a sportier look and the Corolla is famous for its gas mileage and reliability.

gravenewworld said:
I did some looking and driving today, and I have to say I was really impressed with the Toyota Corolla S. The new body makes it have a sportier look and the Corolla is famous for its gas mileage and reliability.

http://www.enterprisecarsales.com/carsales/home.do

Will beat the price at any dealership or car used lot.

i drive a honda accord 1996, bought used with 35,000 mikles, it now has 135,000. my previous car was a honda 1985 civic hatchback. note the large gap in years between cars with a honda.

the only reason i abandoned the the other one with 325,000 miles was some idiot in a ford truck totaled it.

even though the discrepancy in size was so great his truck was undamaged, i was not injured because honda is so well designed.

i bought my wife a new 2003 BMW 5 series because Consumer reports said it was the ebst car they ever rated. well it is luxurious, but it has been in the shop about 5-10 times, as opposed to basically never for the hondas.

it majes me conjecture that if you really want a luxury car that also works, you should probably buy a lexus or some other japanese version.

also, i know you are poor, but unless you are a psychic, or very very lucky, the best investment you can make on a car is to buy NEW.

there is a reason 99% of all used cars are for sale, THEY STINK!

Last edited:
mathwonk said:
even though the discrepancy in size was so great his truck was undamaged, i was not injured because honda is so well designed.

You weren't injured because you were lucky/the crash wasn't bad. Statistics show that an 85 Civic is one of the least safe vehicles you can find.

also, i know you are poor, but unless you are a psychic, or very very lucky, the best investment you can make on a car is to buy NEW.

there is a reason 99% of all used cars are for sale, THEY STINK!

I'd say a new car is a terrible investment. It's only good if you're impatient (want a new model) or lazy (don't want the hassle of finding a mechanic and rental if something goes wrong). You lose a huge amount of money to depreciation for very little gain.

People don't only sell cars because there's something major that's wrong with them. They just get bored with what they're driving, want new features, a new look, get a raise, etc. Even if there is an issue with a used car, there are very few things that can go wrong that cost much to fix compared to the cost of buying new. I've been completely satisfied with my very used cars. Buying used also allows me to afford cars that are very enjoyable to drive. That's far more important to me than any other characteristics.

Last edited: