Quick Question about Rotational Energy

In summary, two astronauts with a combined mass of 77.0 kg are connected by a 11.0 m rope and orbiting their center of mass at a speed of 5.40 m/s. The angular momentum of the system is 4573.8 kgm2/s and the rotational energy is calculated using the equation Krot = L^2/(2I), where I is the moment of inertia. The correct value for the moment of inertia is 144, not 154.
MJC8719
Two astronauts (Fig. P11.51), each having a mass of 77.0 kg, are connected by a 11.0 m rope of negligible mass. They are isolated in space, orbiting their center of mass at speeds of 5.40 m/s.

(a) Treating the astronauts as particles, calculate the magnitude of the angular momentum.
4573.8 kgm2/s
(b) Calculate the rotational energy of the system.

What is the equation for rotational energy of a system...I thought it was Krot = L^2/(2I) which for this problem would have been (4573.8^2)/(2 x 144 x 5.5^2) but this is not correct. I though 2 I would be equal to 2MR as the astronauts are like a hollow disk rotating in the air

Physics news on Phys.org
wow..never mind 2x77 is 154 and not 144 lol

thanks for looking

Your equation for rotational energy is correct. However, in this case, the astronauts are not rotating as a single solid object, but rather orbiting around their center of mass. Therefore, the moment of inertia (I) should be calculated using the parallel axis theorem, taking into account the distance between the astronauts and their center of mass.

The correct equation for rotational energy in this case would be: Krot = (L^2)/(2I) = (4573.8^2)/(2 x 2 x 77 x 5.5^2) = 179.4 J.

It is important to note that this is the rotational energy of the system as a whole, and not the individual rotational energies of the two astronauts. As they are connected by a rope, their individual rotational energies would be equal but opposite in direction, and would cancel out when considering the system as a whole.

1. What is rotational energy?

Rotational energy is a type of kinetic energy that is associated with rotating objects. It is the energy an object has due to its rotational motion.

2. How is rotational energy calculated?

The formula for calculating rotational energy is E = 1/2 I ω², where E is the rotational energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

3. What factors affect rotational energy?

The factors that affect rotational energy include the moment of inertia, angular velocity, and the distribution of mass in the rotating object.

4. Can rotational energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, rotational energy can be converted into other forms of energy such as thermal energy, sound energy, or electrical energy.

5. How is rotational energy important in real-world applications?

Rotational energy is important in various real-world applications, such as in the functioning of engines, turbines, and other machinery. It is also important in sports, such as in the rotation of a basketball or in the spinning of a figure skater.