Are there things that are beyond the human brain

In summary, the conversation revolves around the concept of infinity and how it is beyond human understanding. The speakers discuss the limitation of the human brain in grasping infinite concepts and how there are things that are beyond our mental abilities. They also mention the role of technology in expanding our perception and the idea of time and change in understanding infinity. Overall, the conversation highlights the difficulty in knowing for sure if something is beyond the grasp of the human mind.
Neutralino
The other day I was talking to my friend and we were just thinking about infinity. I used this analogy to prove how it is that we cannot 'see' some things.
Lets take parrots, they can see ultraviolet I've read somewhere. But we cannot so we can't even imagine such a colour. It's beyond us. Such are some concepts, like multidimensional space.

Physics news on Phys.org
Stating that there are things beyond our understanding is an absolute statement without evidence. Stating that there are not things beyond our understanding is an absolute statement without evidence.

Many obvious things are beyond the human brain since it is finite in size, speed and duration. No brain can grasp an infinite set like the decimal value of pi, for example. Performance is also limited: human brains cannot recalculate a complex spreadsheet faster than Excel. You can come up with other similar examples of things beyond our mental abilities.

However, in order to be sure that something cannot be grasped at least "in principle" by a human brain, we must show what it is that makes it impossible to grasp. Is it infinite, too fast, too complex? We know something about pi so we can grasp it even without grasping every detail of it. We also know that we cannot grasp it fully because we can grasp the idea of infinity, the finite limits of our brain, and the conflict between these two situations.

So I see this problem: knowing that something cannot be grasped requires grasping at least something about it. Because of this, it would seem that the human brain cannot know if something is beyond the human brain or not.

I'd say that whilst it might be difficult to know for sure whether or not there are things outside of our minds' grasps, all evidence points to there being something outside of it, merely because some things are too complex, for instance combining concepts that we can only vaguely understand. Infinity and multi-dimensional space have been mentioned, imagine these two combined, there becomes a point when the human mind cannot cope with even a large finite number of added dimensions to space.

Besides, some things are never going to be observed or thought of by humans, does that count them out of our minds' reach?

All logical splitting of hairs aside, there are things that are demonstrably beyond the human brain and mind. We are human, not parrots or whales, which in itself is an expression of a limitation.

Moridin said:
Stating that there are things beyond our understanding is an absolute statement without evidence. Stating that there are not things beyond our understanding is an absolute statement without evidence.
most would argue it's a first principle easily seen by demonstration. Try to understand a non consistent or empty universe…

*note the OP should specify what they mean by know, propositional or acquaintal knowledge.

Neutralino said:
Lets take parrots, they can see ultraviolet I've read somewhere. But we cannot so we can't even imagine such a colour. It's beyond us.
Ask a http://ray.tomes.biz/b2/index.php/a/2007/06/21/p147.

Which species developed the concept of the decimal value of pi, or the concept of infinity , or cube root of three, or the notion of the graviton? Let's give ourselves a little credit--We are not done evolving yet.

Infinity... What is infinite? The concept of infinity is mathematical. Infinite in number. To say that the Universe is infinite is to say that it is composed of an infinite number of parts. The concept of counting is not beyond the intellect, therefore the concept is not a limit to either of our intellects.

However, to say that the void is infinite is wrong, because void has no boundary. Looking out into space and pondering that it has no limit, no end, that if anything approaches the limit of my intellect. For the very idea that my reality is divided into two, seemingly contrary parts, the limited and the unlimited is beyond my intellect. When I accept that these two are merely components of one existence, therein lies the limit to my intellect. For I have no way of explaining how the two can share in the same foundation, and at the same time be so different...

This is only my opinion of course.

The concept of infinity gets stared down every time it is tested. It is not a measurable quantity so this is not an unexpected result. We get results that are very large, but never infinite when closely examined. The concept of singularity is merely the inverse concept. It too does not survive close scrutiny.

Moridin said:

Absolutley, but we can evolve our perception through the evolution of "technology" that allows us to expand our perception, or for example, see ultraviolet rays...right?

Also, infinity is inconcievable to us because the only reality that we can currently percieve is one in which time exists and therefore, change is the beginning to everything... or in other words, everything has a beginning within the realm of our perception, so we cannot actually deny or prove the existence of infinity...

1. What is meant by "things beyond the human brain"?

When we say "things beyond the human brain," we are referring to concepts or phenomena that are difficult for the human brain to understand or comprehend. These can include abstract ideas, complex systems, or even physical objects that are beyond our current level of understanding.

2. Can the human brain ever fully understand everything?

It is unlikely that the human brain will ever be able to fully understand everything. Our brains have limitations in terms of processing power, memory, and perception, which can prevent us from fully comprehending certain concepts or phenomena. However, through continued learning and scientific advancements, we can expand our understanding and knowledge of the world around us.

3. Are there things that are beyond the human brain's ability to perceive?

Yes, there are things that are beyond the human brain's ability to perceive. Our brains are limited by our senses, which can only detect a small portion of the electromagnetic spectrum. This means that there are entire realms of reality that we are unable to perceive, such as ultraviolet or infrared light. However, we can use technology and scientific methods to expand our perception and understanding of these hidden realms.

4. How do scientists study and understand things beyond the human brain?

Scientists use a variety of methods and tools to study and understand things beyond the human brain. These can include mathematical models, experiments, observations, and simulations. By using these methods, scientists can gather data and evidence to support theories and hypotheses about complex or abstract concepts.

5. Are there any limitations to our understanding of the universe?

As humans, our understanding of the universe is limited by our own cognitive abilities and technological advancements. There may be concepts or phenomena that are beyond our current level of understanding and may never be fully comprehensible to us. However, through continuous research and exploration, we can continue to expand our understanding of the universe and push the boundaries of our knowledge.