I have a few questions - Engineering

In summary, Aaron needs help figuring out where to put his water treatment plant between the two cities on a map. He is unsure of how to find the tangent point and needs help with the formula to determine the distance and length of the pipes.
Ego
Here's the picture of the assignment:
http://img172.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hw8nm2.jpg

I need to design the water treatment plant to be between both of the cities equally. I'm a bit confused on where to place the plant on the line(Lake shore). I know that you could derive the formula to find the tangent point but that wouldn't tell me where to place the treatment plant or would it?

Also once I figure out where to place the plant and basically make two right triangles do I use trig to figure out the distance from the road to the plant and how long the pipes need to be to reach each city?

If anyone could help me with the formula to figure out where to place the plant and what do after I make two right traingles to get the distance, I probably will be good to go.

TIA,
Aaron

Physics news on Phys.org
what are the guidelines the problem states you should consider??

Well, you want to find the minimum for the (cost of the road) + (cost of the pipeline). The road will simply form a 90% angle with the current highway (x-axis), while the pipeline will be two hypotenuses of two right angle triangles with bases of E/W Highway. So you need to set up an optimization problem with the (cost of pipeline)(pipeline length) + (cost of road)(road length) and find the minimum cost.

As for the formula for the pipeline length. What does Pythagorus have to say about the length of a hypotenuse?

You should be able to take it from there.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses guys but fortunately I asked one of my class mates that happens to take some of the same classes as me and he set me straight. I got it all completed last night.

Thanks again,
Aaron

1. What is engineering and what do engineers do?

Engineering is the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design, develop, and maintain structures, machines, devices, systems, and processes. Engineers use their knowledge and skills to solve problems and improve the world around us.

2. What are the different types of engineering?

There are many different types of engineering, including mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical, aerospace, biomedical, and environmental engineering. Each type focuses on a specific area and requires a different set of skills and knowledge.

3. What education and skills are needed to become an engineer?

Most engineers have at least a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field. They also need strong math and science skills, as well as problem-solving and critical thinking abilities. Good communication skills and the ability to work in a team are also important for engineers.

4. What are the job prospects for engineers?

The job prospects for engineers are generally positive, as there is a high demand for their skills in various industries. The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects a 4% growth in employment for engineers from 2019 to 2029.

5. How do engineers contribute to society?

Engineers play a crucial role in improving our daily lives. They design and develop technologies that make our lives easier, such as cars, phones, and computers. They also work on projects that address global challenges like climate change, clean energy, and sustainable infrastructure. Engineers help shape the world we live in and make it a better place.