Finding Kinetic Energy of Person Spinning on Chair w/ Weights

In summary: The final angular speed of the student is 1.15232 rad/s. The change in kinetic energy is 3.35118116 J.
dvdqnoc
How do you find the Kinetic Energy of a person spinning on a chair with 2 equal weights on each arm?

A specific problem asks what the change in KE is if he moves his originally extended arms inward.

I tried doing (1/2)(I)(wf)^2 - (1/2)(I)(wi)^2 where wi is initial angular velocity and wf is final angular velocity, but its wrong.

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
What numbers/variables do they give?

Ahh, sorry, I suppose I should have included this information in the main thread. My bad.

Well I is the same for initial and final, which is 8. Therefore,

Initial I = 8
Final I = 8
Initial w = .7
Final w = 1.15

So I did:

(1/2)(I)(wf)^2 - (1/2)(I)(wi)^2
= (1/2)(8)(1.15)^2 - (1/2)(8)(.7)^2
= 5.31118 - 1.96
= 3.35118116 j

...but apparently it's wrong.

I can't be the same initial and final... if he brings his arms in the moment of inertia changes. post the question exacty as it is stated...

Alright. But just fyi, I know it can't be the same I because the r changes, but the problem says to just assume its the same. I used the same I for initial and final to get the wf, and it was correct, so i know I is same initial and final. Anyways, here's the problem:

A student sits on a rotating stool holding two
3 kg objects. When his arms are extended
horizontally, the objects are 1 m from the axis
of rotation, and he rotates with angular speed
of 0.7 rad/sec. The moment of inertia of the
student plus the stool is 8 kgm^2 and is assumed
to be constant. The student then pulls
the objects horizontally to a radius 0.29 m
from the rotation axis.

a) Calculate the final angular speed of the
student. Answer in units of rad/s.
(The answer to this part is 1.15232 rad/s)

b) Calculate the change in kinetic energy of the
system. Answer in units of J.

1. What is kinetic energy and how is it calculated?

Kinetic energy is the energy possessed by a moving object. It is calculated by using the formula KE = 1/2mv^2, where m represents the mass of the object and v represents its velocity.

2. How does spinning on a chair with weights affect a person's kinetic energy?

Spinning on a chair with weights increases a person's kinetic energy because the added weight increases the mass in the kinetic energy formula, resulting in a higher energy value.

3. Is there a limit to how much kinetic energy a person can generate while spinning on a chair with weights?

Yes, there is a limit to how much kinetic energy a person can generate while spinning on a chair with weights. The maximum kinetic energy a person can have is dependent on their mass and the velocity at which they are spinning.

4. How does the distribution of weight on the chair affect the person's kinetic energy?

The distribution of weight on the chair can affect a person's kinetic energy by changing the center of mass and the moment of inertia. If the weights are evenly distributed, the person's kinetic energy will be more evenly distributed as well. However, if the weights are unevenly distributed, the person's kinetic energy may be more concentrated in certain areas.

5. Are there any safety concerns when conducting experiments with kinetic energy and spinning on a chair with weights?

Yes, there are safety concerns when conducting experiments with kinetic energy and spinning on a chair with weights. It is important to use caution and proper safety equipment to avoid injury. It is also recommended to conduct these experiments under the supervision of a trained professional.