Exploring E.m.f and Internal Resistance: A Graphical Approach

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment to determine the e.m.f and internal resistance of a battery using a variable load. A graph of V vs. I was plotted and the gradient was calculated. The conversation then continues to discuss the relationship between the gradient and the equation E=IR+Ir, with possible rearrangements and corresponding linear equations for the graph.
Andresx90

Homework Statement

This problem relates to an experiment to determine the e.m.f and internal resistance of a battery using a variable load. Taking values for V & I a graphy of V vs. I was plotted.

Homework Equations

E=IR+Ir
V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

After plotting the graph and calculating the gradient. I am not sure where the gradient and the equation y=mx+c fit in the equation E=IR+Ir, although I believe it could be rearraging the equation to look like IR=E-Ir. Hence y=IR, E=mx and -Ir=c

Physics news on Phys.org
From the equations yu've given you could have: [itex]E=V+Ir[/itex]. What would the gradient and intercept be then?

If you wqrite your original equation in this form

E = Ir + V

and rearrange you get

V = E - rI

this now corresponds with the linear equation for your graph:

V = c + mI

where c is the y-intercept and m is the gradient of your graph.

What is E.m.f?

E.m.f stands for electromotive force, which is the voltage produced by a source such as a battery or generator. It is the driving force that causes electrons to flow through a circuit.

What is internal resistance?

Internal resistance is the resistance within a source of e.m.f, such as a battery. It is caused by the resistance of the materials used in the source and can affect the amount of current that can flow through the circuit.

How does internal resistance affect a battery's performance?

Internal resistance can cause a voltage drop within a battery, meaning that the actual voltage output is less than the theoretical e.m.f. This can result in a decrease in the battery's performance and lifespan.

How can internal resistance be measured?

Internal resistance can be measured by connecting a known load to the battery and measuring the voltage drop across that load. By using Ohm's law (V=IR), the internal resistance can be calculated.

How can internal resistance be reduced?

Internal resistance can be reduced by using materials with lower resistivity in the construction of the battery or by reducing the length and thickness of the conductive materials within the battery. Additionally, using larger electrode surface areas can also help decrease internal resistance.