Simple Statics Equilbrium [SOLVED]

• Thread starter kevinr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statics
In summary: I got it now. In summary, the problem involves a diving board of length 3m with a diver weighing 450N standing at the free end. The board has a uniform cross section and weighs 285N. The task is to find the magnitude of the force at the support point. Using the conditions of static equilibrium, the solution is found by setting the net torque equal to zero and considering all the forces acting on the board. After correcting for the distance of the weight of the board from the left end, the final result is 1685N.
kevinr
[SOLVED] Simple Statics Equilbrium

Homework Statement

A diving board of length 3m is supported at a point 1m from the end and a diver weighing 450N stands at the free end. The diving board is of uniform cross section and weighs 285N

Pic:
http://img408.imageshack.us/my.php?image=yf1124no0.jpg

Q) Find the magnitude of the force at the support point.

Homework Equations

Statics Equilbrium?

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok i am kind of confused on this one. I know that there are 2 forces down which is 450N + Force of the push down from supported end + the weight of the board = support force. I hope that's right.

Im not sure about the exact equation to use. Would it be Torque = 0? But even than i get 2 unknowns (Support Force and force of supported end)

But how could i do this without given the supported force down?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
kevinr said:
Ok i am kind of confused on this one. I know that there are 2 forces down which is 450N + Force of the push down from supported end + the weight of the board = support force. I hope that's right.
Unfortunately, the pic link doesn't seem to be working. But don't forget to consider the weight of the board itself.

Im not sure about the exact equation to use. Would it be Torque = 0?
Yes, the net torque about any point must be zero. That's one of the conditions for equilibrium.

But even than i get 2 unknowns (Support Force and force of supported end)
What's another condition for equilibrium? What must the sum of the forces equal?

You can also apply the torque = 0 condition at two different pivot points.

Hello,
I reuploaded image for you:
http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2003386143771893898

Now i am still getting this wrong. I figured Torque in this way:
T = TF(sp) - TFg - weight of board (set starting point where Fn acts so this is 0)
This means:
F(sp) = 3*Fg + weight of board
so:
F(sp) = 3 * 450 + 285 = 1635 N but this is wrong and i don't understand why.

kevinr said:
Now i am still getting this wrong. I figured Torque in this way:
T = TF(sp) - TFg - weight of board (set starting point where Fn acts so this is 0)
I'm not quite understanding what you are doing. First thing to do is identify all the forces acting on the board and where they act:
F(sp) = I assume this is the downward support force that acts at the left end of the board?
Fg = The weight of the girl, which acts at the right end of the board?
W = weight of the board, which acts at the middle of the board.
Fn = The upward force located 1 m from the left end.

OK, If you chose the location of Fn as your pivot, then you must set clockwise and counterclockwise torques equal to each other. And you must measure their distances from the pivot point in order to calculate torque.
This means:
F(sp) = 3*Fg + weight of board
so:
F(sp) = 3 * 450 + 285 = 1635 N but this is wrong and i don't understand why.
Redo this with the correct distances.

Ok still seems to come out to the same thing. If i use the variables you have, i have to set my pivot at left end if i want to find Fn.

Fn creates counter clockwise direction (+)
W creates clockwise (-)
Fg creates clockwise (-) at radius of 3.

So here's my equation:
Torque = 1 * Fn - 1 * W -3 * Fg (looking for Fn)
Fn = W + 3 * Fg
Fn = 285 + 3 * 450 = 1685 N

But this seems to be incorrect.

Thanks for your time!

kevinr said:
So here's my equation:
Torque = 1 * Fn - 1 * W -3 * Fg (looking for Fn)
The weight of the board acts at its center of mass, which is not 1 m from the left end. Fix this.

Ah! Thank you!

1. What is "Simple Statics Equilibrium"?

Simple Statics Equilibrium is a branch of physics that deals with the analysis of forces acting on a stationary object. It involves understanding how different forces interact and balance each other to keep an object at rest.

2. What are the key principles of Simple Statics Equilibrium?

The key principles of Simple Statics Equilibrium include the law of inertia, the law of action and reaction, and the concept of torque. These principles help us understand how forces act on objects to maintain equilibrium.

3. How is Simple Statics Equilibrium different from Dynamics?

Simple Statics Equilibrium deals with objects at rest, while Dynamics deals with objects in motion. In other words, Simple Statics Equilibrium focuses on how forces act on stationary objects, whereas Dynamics focuses on how forces cause objects to accelerate or decelerate.

4. What are some real-life applications of Simple Statics Equilibrium?

Simple Statics Equilibrium is used in a variety of fields, including engineering, architecture, and biomechanics. It is essential in designing stable structures, such as buildings and bridges, and in understanding the mechanics of human movement.

5. How can I apply the principles of Simple Statics Equilibrium in my daily life?

Simple Statics Equilibrium can be applied in everyday situations, such as balancing a book on your head or stacking blocks to build a tower. By understanding the forces at play, you can ensure that the object remains in equilibrium and does not fall or topple over.