Vitamin B12 & Folic Acid Deficiency: Causes of Fatigue & Weakness

In summary, a lack of vitimin b12 and folic acid can cause pernicious anemia and make someone very tired.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Would a lack of vitimin b12 and folic acid make some one very tired?

Biology news on Phys.org
With our latitude (very similar), I would also suggest that you get out in the sun for at least 20 minutes a day without lots of clothes on. If you can get sunlight on your face, arms, hands, etc, you may be able to get enough Vitamin D to haul you through the winter. This is a VERY important vitamin. If it's warm enough to get out and do some yard-work on the weekend, or take a walk in the sun on your lunch-breaks, it may be helpful.

Lol, Forcast rain and more rain, thanks Greg, Turbo.

As long as you eat a diet with the recommended amount of meat, you shouldn't be lacking these vitamins. Vegans are the only group I know of that have a diet so deficient in essential nutrients that it is dangerous and they have to take supplements.

When in doubt take a mutli-vitamin pill with at least 100% of the minimum daily requirements.

Evo said:
As long as you eat a diet with the recommended amount of meat, you shouldn't be lacking these vitamins. Vegans are the only group I know of that have a diet so deficient in essential nutrients that it is dangerous and they have to take supplements.

When in doubt take a mutli-vitamin pill with at least 100% of the minimum daily requirements.

The problem is the body does not absorb theese vitamins for some reason, it may be ulcers or some such.

Is your doctor treating you for this?

Evo said:
Is your doctor treating you for this?

May be in the fullness of time the medical engine will give a diagnosis, mean while i become less and less usefull.

wolram said:
May be in the fullness of time the medical engine will give a diagnosis, mean while i become less and less usefull.
But your doctor told you that you have a B12 deficiency?

wolram said:

The simple answer is yes. If you are not getting enough in your diet, or are having difficulty absorbing enough from your diet, you can take supplements for both. If the problem is an absorption problem, i.e., you aren't digesting it properly, then a vitamin pill is probably not the ideal way to supplement these vitamins. You can get vitamin B complex as an injection from a doctor in that case. This will help boost energy levels.

wolram said:

Exhausted, irritable, at times almost unable to fully function. I have pernicious anemia -- a lack of B12 -- and that's caused by not absorbing enough from my food because of a lack of intrinsic factor in my stomach. Insufficient B12 causes your red blood cells to expand and become light pink as they try to absorb enough oxygen to carry around your body. Insufficient B12 messes with your red blood cell production, overall. They don't form properly.

At any rate, get a blood test. It's as simple as that. I was diagnosed with pernicious anemia almost 15 years ago and B12 injections every four weeks changed my life. (I was constantly exhausted as a child, and we never knew why.) Taking oral supplements doesn't help, because, if this is your problem, then your stomach isn't producing the required chemical to properly absorb the B12 oral supplements anyway. After the first few trips to my doctor's for injections, by doctor instructed me on how to do it myself. I've been giving myself regular injections for many years.

But anyway, yes, a quick blood test will answer if that's the issue.

I believe a lack of b12 and subsequent b12 injections in the buttocks are the misinterpreted actions that have landed Roger Clemens in hot water over steroid use.

1. What are the symptoms of vitamin B12 and folic acid deficiency?

Some common symptoms of vitamin B12 and folic acid deficiency include fatigue, weakness, pale skin, shortness of breath, numbness or tingling in the hands and feet, and difficulty concentrating.

2. What causes vitamin B12 and folic acid deficiency?

Vitamin B12 and folic acid deficiency can be caused by a variety of factors, including a diet lacking in these nutrients, gastrointestinal disorders such as celiac disease or Crohn's disease, certain medications, and conditions that affect the body's ability to absorb these vitamins.

3. How can I prevent vitamin B12 and folic acid deficiency?

You can prevent vitamin B12 and folic acid deficiency by consuming a balanced diet that includes foods rich in these vitamins, such as leafy greens, eggs, dairy products, and fortified cereals. It may also be helpful to take a daily vitamin supplement.

4. Who is at risk for vitamin B12 and folic acid deficiency?

Individuals who follow strict vegan or vegetarian diets, adults over the age of 50, and individuals with certain health conditions or taking certain medications may be at a higher risk for vitamin B12 and folic acid deficiency.

5. How is vitamin B12 and folic acid deficiency treated?

Vitamin B12 and folic acid deficiency can be treated through dietary changes and vitamin supplements. In some cases, injections or nasal sprays may be necessary for individuals who have difficulty absorbing these vitamins through their diet.