Calculate Maximum Stress in Pipe AB and Rod BC Shaft

In summary, the built-up shaft consists of a pipe with an inner diameter of 20 mm and outer diameter of 28 mm, and a solid rod with a diameter of 12 mm. To determine the maximum stress in the shaft, you can use the formula stress = force/area. However, the force should be determined by drawing a free body diagram of the pipe and rod and finding the internal forces. Once these forces are calculated, the axial stresses can be compared to determine the maximum stress in the shaft. It is important to note that 12N is not the correct force to use in this calculation.
kappcity06
The built-up shaft consists of a pipe AB and solid rod BC. The pipe has an inner diameter of 20 mm and outer diameter of 28 mm. The rod has a diameter of 12 mm. Determine the maximum stress in the shaft.

I have stress=V/A

I picked 12N as V

and Aream I am confused

any help?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 829
Physics news on Phys.org
If you draw a free body diagram of the pipe that encircles A and cuts through D, what is the internal force in the pipe? If you draw a free body diagram of the rod that encircles C and cuts through E, what is the internal force in the rod? Once you determine these forces, the axial stresses follow from F/A evaluated for each piece, and then compare the two to see which is higher. You should be able to calculate the cross section areas of each piece. Note that 12N is not the corrrect force to use.

1. How do I calculate the maximum stress in a pipe or rod?

The maximum stress in a pipe or rod can be calculated using the formula: σmax = (F/A) + (M*y/I), where σmax is the maximum stress, F is the applied force, A is the cross-sectional area, M is the bending moment, y is the distance from the neutral axis, and I is the moment of inertia.

2. What is the difference between pipe AB and rod BC shaft?

Pipe AB is a hollow cylindrical structure, while rod BC shaft is a solid cylindrical structure. This means that the cross-sectional area and moment of inertia will be different for each, which will affect the calculation of maximum stress.

3. How does the length of the pipe or rod affect the maximum stress?

The length of the pipe or rod does not directly affect the maximum stress. However, a longer length can increase the bending moment, which would then increase the maximum stress. It is important to consider the length when calculating the maximum stress.

4. What other factors should be considered when calculating maximum stress in a pipe or rod?

In addition to the applied force and bending moment, other factors that should be considered include the material properties of the pipe or rod, such as the yield strength and modulus of elasticity, as well as any external loads or constraints that may affect the structure.

5. Can the maximum stress in a pipe or rod be greater than the yield strength of the material?

Yes, it is possible for the maximum stress to exceed the yield strength of the material. However, this can lead to permanent deformation or failure of the structure. It is important to consider safety factors and design the structure to withstand maximum stress within the yield strength of the material.