Particle Trapping: AC Source Questions

• Thread starter splitringtail
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particle
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding a suitable AC source for an experiment involving trapping particles. The researcher has found that most available AC sources are too expensive or have too much current, posing a risk to the equipment. They have tried various keywords in their search but have not been successful. The researcher also mentions a previous device that burned up but requires maintenance from an electrician who is often unavailable. The experiment involves suspending particles and using light scattering for measurements, but the specific details are not revealed to prevent others from copying the research. The conversation ends with the suggestion to have the original electrician fix the device.
splitringtail
I don't know which sub forum is appropriate for my question, but here it is.

My research involves trapping particles, which I have done. But my AC source, which supplies an AC to a central ring electrode to radially stabilize the particle, has burned up (7-3-08.

The only instruments I have found so far can give me the AC voltage ranges and frequencies w/ no or little current I need are AC Calibrators. These things are quite expense... even when refurbished. We actually had an AC calibrator sent off, but it would be faster just to buy something and overnight it.

I don't need the precision of the AC Calibrator, since it will not be used to take measurements.
Yet, the low end AC power sources have noticeable currents along with these voltages, which is a risk to me and other equipment.

Keywords I have used are: AC Source, AC Power Supply, AC Voltage Supply, AC Power Source

First question is have you came a across simple AC sources that produce up to 1,300 Vac RMS and 1 khz at little current levels? Is there a particular manufacturer or keyword I should be using in my search?

The device that burned up it's resistors was built by a electrician who never made a schematic. However, he's been really busy and has like selective hearing (I had to wait weeks for him to make HV cables. While he thought it out, they actually had the cable on hand) and he doesn't have HV Equipment (for some reason) to perform the maintence.

Question on that is should I ask him to fix it or take it to someone else, b/c I haven't been able to find the transformer's and frequency drivers to provide the range of 0-2000 Vac RMS and 0 to 1 kHz, to make a newer design.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When you say trapping particles do you mean the experiment where you trap electrons in a 2D plane?

No, I am talking particulates like powders. I have suspended Alumina Powder. I need to suspend a particle and I use light scattering to take my measurements. I do not want to reveal the exact nature of my research b/c someone who will read this post might take my ideas and publish the work before I do.

If you haven't been able to find the stuff you need to fix it it would be best to take it to the electrician who made it.

1. What is particle trapping and why is it important?

Particle trapping is the process of manipulating and confining particles in a specific location using external forces. It is important because it allows for the study and control of individual particles, which can provide insights into their properties and behavior.

2. How does AC source affect particle trapping?

AC source, or alternating current source, is used to create an oscillating electric field which can be used to trap particles. The electric field causes the particles to experience a force that keeps them confined in a particular area. The strength and frequency of the AC source can be adjusted to control the trapping process.

3. What types of particles can be trapped using AC source?

AC source can be used to trap a wide range of particles, including but not limited to, atoms, molecules, ions, and nanoparticles. The size and charge of the particles play a role in their ability to be trapped using AC source.

4. What are the applications of particle trapping using AC source?

Particle trapping using AC source has various applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. It can be used for studying the properties of particles, manipulating and assembling particles for nanotechnology applications, and trapping biological cells for medical research.

5. Are there any limitations to particle trapping using AC source?

One limitation of particle trapping using AC source is that it can only trap particles that have a certain charge and size range. Additionally, the strength and frequency of the AC source need to be precisely controlled for effective trapping, which can be challenging. Also, the trapped particles may experience heating due to the electric field, which can affect their behavior.