Spin, charge, and magnetic moment

In summary: However, the g-factor is conserved between all particles, so measuring the g-factor of a neutron should give you a good estimate of its magnetic moment.
Monocles
I've read that the properties considered intrinsic to a particle are its mass, spin, and charge. However, unless I am mistaken, both spin and charge can be determined from a particle's magnetic moment. Why are spin and charge considered to be intrinsic instead of magnetic moment then? Sorry if this is a silly question, I'm a physics major but the only physics class I've taken is physics 1.

EDIT: I just realized that you'd be trying to determine two quantities with just one equation. In which case, why isn't it that you can't call any two of those properties to be intrinsic and the third to be the one "left over"? Is it arbitrary?

Physics news on Phys.org
Monocles said:
I've read that the properties considered intrinsic to a particle are its mass, spin, and charge. However, unless I am mistaken, both spin and charge can be determined from a particle's magnetic moment. Why are spin and charge considered to be intrinsic instead of magnetic moment then? Sorry if this is a silly question, I'm a physics major but the only physics class I've taken is physics 1.

EDIT: I just realized that you'd be trying to determine two quantities with just one equation. In which case, why isn't it that you can't call any two of those properties to be intrinsic and the third to be the one "left over"? Is it arbitrary?

How do you propose to determine the "charge" of a neutron from its "magnetic moment"? What about the "magnetic moment" of a photon? Where do you get that to determine that it has a spin of 1?

Zz.

Whoops, I just looked up the equation again, and I missed the first time that it related magnetic moment, charge, spin, AND mass.

[tex]\mu = g\frac{q}{2m}S[/tex]

I am under the impression that magnetic moment, charge, and mass are determined experimentally, while spin is found from an eigenvalue problem or something like that. So, you can determine any of the quantities from the other 3, which still leaves the question of why spin, mass, and charge are intrinsic and magnetic moment is not. Because of experimental error getting a integer or half-integer value for spin would have to be fudged, I think.

So, I am saying to determine a particle's magnetic moment experimentally, and use that, along with its mass and spin to determine its charge (for example).

It still doesn't explain how you would use that to apply to neutrons and photons (for example).

Zz.

Magnetic moment is a fourth intrinsic property of a particle.
The four are mostly independent. A particle must have spin to have a magnetic moment,
and there are theoretical relations between spin and magnetic moment for
some particles, where the g in your equation can be determined.

Oh ok, so they are all intrinsic properties? I see now that the g-factor is different from particle to particle. I didn't know that the equation wasn't valid (yet?) for all particles. That makes me wonder though, why does the neutron have magnetic moment if it is electrically neutral? Is it because of the quarks inside of it not being electrically neutral?

Also, that answers my question, clem, if magnetic moment is a fourth intrinsic property of a particle. Thanks!

You can use your formula for g only for fundamental particles. Indeed the neutron is not a point particle. The details of how to construct its magnetic moment from the quarks is still under investigations.

1. What is spin in physics?

Spin is a fundamental property of subatomic particles, such as electrons and protons, that describes their intrinsic angular momentum. It is an inherent quantum property that cannot be directly observed, but its effects can be measured through experiments.

2. How is charge related to spin?

Charge and spin are both fundamental properties of particles, but they are independent of each other. While charge determines an object's interaction with electromagnetic fields, spin plays a role in the object's magnetic properties.

3. What is a magnetic moment?

A magnetic moment is a measure of the strength and direction of a particle's magnetic field. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is directly related to the particle's spin and charge.

4. How is spin used in technology?

Spin plays a crucial role in many modern technologies, including MRI machines, hard drives, and computer memory. By manipulating the spin of electrons, scientists and engineers can create devices with new and improved functionalities.

5. Can spin, charge, and magnetic moment be changed?

While the values of spin, charge, and magnetic moment are intrinsic properties of particles, they can be manipulated through external forces such as electromagnetic fields. This allows for the control and utilization of these properties in various applications.