Fluid Dynamics, Buoyancy problem

In summary, the problem is asking for the amount of helium needed to lift a 400 kg balloon to 8000 m. The density of air at different altitudes can be calculated using the given expression, and the buoyancy equation can be used to find the required volume of helium. The weight of helium may also need to be considered. The expression with e can be used by plugging in the altitude of 8000 m.
latitude

Homework Statement

How many cubic metres of helium are required to lift a balloon with a 400 kg payload to 8000 m? Assume balloon maintains constant volume, and density of the air decreases with altitude z according to the expression [tex]\rho[/tex]air = [tex]\rho[/tex]^e^-z/8000, where z is in metres and po = 1.25 kg/m^3 is the density of air at sea level.

Homework Equations

[tex]\rho[/tex]o = [tex]\rho[/tex]fluid(g)h
B = [tex]\rho[/tex][(g)V
[tex]\rho[/tex][ = m/v

mg < [tex]\rho[/tex](g)V (Not sure if this is right?? But buoyancy should be stronger if it is to rise, correct?)

I'm not sure how to go about this. I see I need to find volume, so I know the Buoyancy equation with be used, and I think I should find the Buoyancy-- so I assume I need to find the Buoyant force on the "payload" (whatever that is.) Since I don't know the payload's density or volume, I figure that probably
mg = [tex]\rho[/tex](g)V
(400)(9.81) = B = [tex]\rho[/tex](g)V

But this doesn't seem to make sense to me??

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to determine what's the [tex]\rho[/tex] of air at 8000m to be able to find out the required buoyancy.
I don't know if its requires, but take into consideration the weight of helium too.

Ah :( So I have to use that bit with the e? I'm not really sure how :[ I'm assuming it's some kind of calculus thing...? Related rates, perhaps?

Just plug in the z, which would be 8000m, and e is a known constant, just like pi.

1. What is fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics is the study of how fluids, such as liquids and gases, behave and interact with each other and with their surroundings. It involves understanding the motion and forces within fluids, as well as how they are affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and viscosity.

2. What is buoyancy?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted on an object immersed in a fluid, due to the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the object. It is the reason why objects float or sink in a fluid, and is governed by Archimedes' principle.

3. How is buoyancy calculated?

The buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. This can be calculated using the formula Fb = ρVg, where Fb is the buoyant force, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of fluid displaced, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What factors affect buoyancy?

The buoyant force on an object is affected by several factors, including the density of the fluid, the volume of the fluid displaced, and the gravitational pull. The shape and density of the object also play a role, as well as the depth and temperature of the fluid.

5. How is fluid dynamics used in real life?

Fluid dynamics has many practical applications in various fields, including engineering, meteorology, and oceanography. It is used to design efficient aerodynamic structures, predict weather patterns, and understand ocean currents, among other things.