How long to fire a small rocket. Impulse problem.

In summary, a small rocket with a thrust of 59N is used to change the velocity of a 74000kg spacecraft by 54cm/s. To calculate the firing time, the formula is delta t = m(Vf-Vi)/F. The initial velocity is needed to solve the problem.
fanie1031
1. Small rockets are sued to make small adjustments in the speed of satellites. One such rocket has a thrust of 59N. If it is fired to change the velocity of a(n) 74000kg spacecraft by 54cm/s, howl ong should it be fired? Answer in units of s.

F=deltaP, delta t;
F=mVf-mVi (impulse equals change in momentum);
F=m(delta v,delta t)

So my derivation (if that's a word) is

(m*delta v)/ delta t= net force = mVf-mVi. From there I get the formula in my attempt to solve the problem.

3. I made delta t=mV/F= 74000kg(.054m/s)/ 59N... I think my problem lies in that I don't have the initial velocity... but I'm not sure how to get it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh in 2. It should be F= m(delta v/delta t)

fanie1031 said:
1. Small rockets are sued to make small adjustments in the speed of satellites. One such rocket has a thrust of 59N. If it is fired to change the velocity of a(n) 74000kg spacecraft by 54cm/s, howl ong should it be fired? Answer in units of s.

They want the change in velocity to be 54cm/s

and since Ft=mv-mu=m(v-u)

What should v-u be equal to?

Dang, I don't know what you mean by u in Ft=mv-mu=m(v-u). The change in velocity is definitely something I missed. THank you for pointing it out.

Oh I got it. Thank you. Delta t= m(Vf-Vi)/F.

1. How long does it take to fire a small rocket?

The duration of a small rocket firing depends on several factors such as the size and power of the rocket, the type of fuel used, and the desired altitude or velocity. Generally, a small rocket can be fired for a few seconds up to a few minutes.

2. What is the impulse problem when firing a small rocket?

The impulse problem refers to the challenge of achieving a desired impulse or change in momentum during rocket firing. This involves calculating the amount of force and duration of firing needed to reach a certain velocity or altitude.

3. Can the duration of rocket firing be controlled?

Yes, the duration of rocket firing can be controlled by adjusting the amount of fuel and oxidizer being burned. This can be achieved through the use of a throttle system or by designing the rocket with a predetermined burn time.

4. How does the size of a rocket affect the duration of firing?

The size of a rocket is directly proportional to the duration of firing. This means that a larger rocket will require a longer firing time to achieve the same impulse as a smaller rocket. However, a larger rocket can also carry more fuel and achieve a higher velocity or altitude.

5. What is the role of the rocket engine in the impulse problem?

The rocket engine is responsible for generating the necessary thrust to overcome the rocket's weight and air resistance. It also determines the rate at which fuel is burned, which affects the duration of firing and the achievement of the desired impulse.