How can we improve our robot's ability to pick up cubes at any angle?

• Thread starter cam875
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angles
In summary, the conversation discusses constructing a robot for a school project that will pick up defined size cubes using a rubber gear mechanism. However, the current design only works when the robot is perfectly lined up with the cube, so the speaker is looking for a structure that will allow the robot to pick up cubes at any angle for maximum efficiency. Suggestions include using fire to melt the cubes and then a vacuum mechanism, using a funnel to channel the cubes into position, and designing a bucket loader.
cam875
Hello, for a school project we are constructing a robot to pick up defined size cubes but the sucker that pulls up the cubes off the ground is made of rubber gears that spin and suck them up. It works pretty good, but only when the robot is perfectly lined up on the cube, and I am wondering what kind of structure could we use inorder to come up on a cube and pick it up on any angle that we approach it, inorder to be as efficient as possible.

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
This may not be the answer your looking for but I would use fire to melt the ice cubes and then some type of vacuum mechanism to suck up the water.

Hmmm... I didn't see anything about ice in that post.
I'd start with a 'funnel' that will channel the cubes into position. Just a couple of rods or bars sticking forward at an outward angle on both sides of the pick-up point should do it.

Did something similar for B.E.S.T. in HS. If you are using a complicated solution and only getting mixed results it's time to go with something simple.

I would recommend a bucket loader design unless you are guaranteed a certain arrangement on the competition floor.

1. How do you determine the angle at which to pick up a cube?

The angle at which to pick up a cube depends on the shape and size of the cube, as well as the surface it is resting on. Generally, it is best to pick up a cube at a 90-degree angle to the surface to ensure stability and prevent the cube from slipping.

2. Can you pick up a cube at any angle?

Technically, yes, you can pick up a cube at any angle as long as you have a secure grip on it. However, picking up a cube at an angle other than 90 degrees may cause the cube to become unstable and potentially fall.

3. How do you prevent a cube from slipping when picking it up at an angle?

To prevent a cube from slipping when picking it up at an angle, it is important to have a firm grip on the cube and to apply equal pressure on all sides. Additionally, using a non-slip surface or wearing gloves can also help to prevent slipping.

4. Is there a specific technique for picking up cubes at angles?

There is no one specific technique for picking up cubes at angles, as it may vary depending on the shape and size of the cube. However, some general tips include using a steady and secure grip, picking up the cube at a 90-degree angle, and applying equal pressure on all sides.

5. Can you pick up multiple cubes at different angles at the same time?

Yes, it is possible to pick up multiple cubes at different angles at the same time. However, this requires a high level of skill and coordination to ensure that all the cubes are picked up securely without slipping or falling.