Analysis of a polynomial (induction)

Keep up the good work with LaTeX! In summary, the polynomial p(x) = a_0 + a_1x + \cdots + a_nx^n, where each of a_0,...,a_n is an integer and a_n \geq 1, has a value of at least 2 for every k \geq k_0. Using this information, we can shift the polynomial to the right by k_0 units and show that there must be some value of y for which the resulting polynomial q(y) = p(k_0 + y) is not a prime number.
entropic11

Homework Statement

Consider the polynomial

[tex]p(x) = a_0 + a_1x + \cdots + a_nx^n[/tex]

where each of [tex]a_0,...,a_n[/tex] is an integer (some of them may be non-positive), and [tex]a_n \geq 1[/tex]

a) Show that there is [tex]k_0 \in \aleph[/tex] such that [tex]p(k) \geq 2 for each k \geq k_0[/tex]

b) Show that there is an integer [tex]k \geq k_0[/tex] such that p(k) is not a prime number.

Homework Equations

Hint: Consider a polynomial [tex]q(y) = p(k_0 + y)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attempted (a)... but (b) I'm clueless. I tried (a) by induction...
Want to show [tex]p(k_0) \geq 2[/tex]
Base: x=2
Since [tex]a_n \geq 1[/tex], take the lowest possible value it could be, ie, [tex]p(k) = a_0 + a_1(x) = 0 +1(x)[/tex]
Then [tex]p(2) = 0 + 1(2) = 2[/tex]
So the base case holds, [tex]p(k_0) \geq 2[/tex]

Induction
Assume [tex]p(k_0)[/tex] true.
[tex]p(k_0 + 1) = a_0 + a_1(k_0+1)[/tex]
[tex]=[a_0 + a_1(k_0)]+a_1 [/tex]
[tex]=[ 2 ] + 1[/tex] by induction hypothesis, and since [tex]a_n \geq 1[/tex]
[tex]=3 \geq 2 \[/tex]
So [tex]p(k_0+1) \geq 2 \forall k \geq k_0[/tex]

First, is this legitimate reasoning? I'm still trying to get the hang of induction/analysis/etc. For example, [tex]a_0,\cdots,a_n[/tex] - does this mean that if a1 =1, then a2 =2, a3=3 and so on, just so long as [tex]a_n \geq 1[/tex] ?

Second, I'm not even sure where to start on (b). I'm assuming the hint will be useful... but where should I take it?

Thank you! (ps, I also just recently learned basic LaTeX... super useful that this forum has it! Also, takes some damn time getting used to writing things like that, haha! How do I do a new line? Just a backslash ( \ ) won't work...)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello!

Your reasoning for part (a) looks good! Just a small clarification, when you say "a_0,...,a_n - does this mean that if a1 =1, then a2 =2, a3=3 and so on, just so long as a_n \geq 1 ?", it actually means that a_0, a_1, a_2, ..., a_n are all integers, but some of them may be non-positive (less than or equal to 0). So for example, a_0 = -1, a_1 = 2, a_2 = 0, a_3 = -3, and so on. The important thing is that a_n, the coefficient of the highest degree term, is greater than or equal to 1.

For part (b), the hint given is to consider a polynomial q(y) = p(k_0 + y). This means that we are shifting the polynomial p(x) to the right by k_0 units. So instead of looking at p(x), we are looking at q(y) = p(k_0 + y), where y is a variable. We know from part (a) that p(x) is always greater than or equal to 2 for any x greater than or equal to k_0. Can you use this information to show that there must be some value of y for which q(y) is not a prime number?

Also, to do a new line in LaTeX, you can use a double backslash (\\) or just press enter twice.

1. What is a polynomial?

A polynomial is an algebraic expression that consists of variables and coefficients, combined using addition, subtraction, and multiplication operations. It can also include exponents, but the variables cannot have negative or fractional exponents.

2. How do you perform induction on a polynomial?

To perform induction on a polynomial, you first need to verify the base case by substituting a specific value for the variable and proving that the polynomial holds true for that value. Then, you assume the polynomial holds true for a general value of the variable, and use this assumption to prove that it also holds true for the next value of the variable.

3. What is the purpose of analyzing a polynomial using induction?

The purpose of analyzing a polynomial using induction is to prove that it holds true for all possible values of the variable. This allows us to make conclusions about the behavior of the polynomial and use it in various mathematical and scientific applications.

4. How do you determine the degree of a polynomial?

The degree of a polynomial is the highest exponent of the variable in the expression. For example, in the polynomial 2x^3 + 5x^2 + 3x + 1, the degree is 3 because it is the highest exponent of x.

5. Can a polynomial have more than one variable?

Yes, a polynomial can have multiple variables as long as they are combined using addition, subtraction, and multiplication operations. However, the variables cannot have negative or fractional exponents.