Creating a Hysteresis Loop in MATLAB for Ferromagnets - Tips and Tricks

In summary, to create a continuous hysteresis curve from scattered points in MATLAB, you can use the function "plot" with the option to plot points as "+". Alternatively, you can break the points into two sets and plot them separately using the "hold" function. To indicate the direction of the hysteresis, you can add greater than and less than symbols.
omri3012
Hallo,

If I have an hystersis loop (of ferromagnets) in form of scattered points in MATLAB what is the function or tool which i can use in order drew a continues hystersis curve(loop)?

Thanks,
Omri

Physics news on Phys.org
plot(x,y,'+'); will plot the points in 2-d as + for each point.

You could also break it into two sets, one going forward, and one going backwards, and then plot both with the exact same settings (or using the 'hold' function). If you really wanted to get fancy, you could probably add a text greater than (>) sign and less than sign (<) to indicate the direction of the hysteresis.

1. What is a hysteresis loop and why is it important in studying ferromagnets?

A hysteresis loop is a graphical representation of the relationship between the magnetic field strength and the magnetization of a ferromagnetic material. It is important because it illustrates the magnetic properties of a material and can be used to understand and predict its behavior in different conditions.

2. How can I create a hysteresis loop in MATLAB?

To create a hysteresis loop in MATLAB, you will need to define the magnetic field strength and the corresponding magnetization values for your ferromagnetic material. Then, you can use the "plot" function to plot these values on a graph and use the "hold" function to plot multiple loops on the same graph.

3. What are some tips for creating an accurate hysteresis loop in MATLAB?

When creating a hysteresis loop in MATLAB, it is important to use a large number of data points to ensure accuracy. Additionally, you may need to adjust the axes and labels on your graph to clearly show the loop. It is also helpful to use the "grid" function to add grid lines to your graph for better visualization.

4. Can I customize the appearance of my hysteresis loop in MATLAB?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of your hysteresis loop in MATLAB by changing the color, line style, and thickness of the plotted data. You can also add a legend to label different loops or use the "title" function to add a title to your graph.

5. Are there any tricks to improve the efficiency of creating a hysteresis loop in MATLAB?

One trick to improve efficiency when creating a hysteresis loop in MATLAB is to use the "for" loop to automatically generate the magnetization values based on a given magnetic field strength. This can save time and reduce the chances of errors when manually inputting data points.