Solving Tuff Limit Problem: Factoring Out Rational Function

• Thread starter Alem2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses factoring and simplifying a rational function in order to find its limit as x approaches 2. It is determined that it is possible to factor out and cancel terms in the function, as long as the limits at 2 remain the same. The confusion was caused by sloppy handwriting, but the problem is ultimately solved with the help of the expert, Gokul43201.
Alem2000
Okay basically i tried to facter out the top part of the rational function but it just doesn't seem corect.

[tex] \lim{x\rightarrow2} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{x^4-16}{x-2} [/tex]

[tex] \lim{x\rightarrow2} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{(x^2+4)(x^2-4}{X-2} [/tex]

[tex] \lim{x\rightarrow2} \frac{(x+2)(x-2)(x^2-4)}{x-2} [/tex]

[tex] \lim{x\rightarrow2} (x+2)(x^2-4)=0 [/tex]
IS that correct, is it okay to factor out one and cancel?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Surely you mean

[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow2}~~\frac{(x^2-4)(x^2+4)}{x-2} [/tex]

[tex]= \lim_{x\rightarrow2}~~ \frac{(x+2)(x-2)(x^2+4)}{x-2} [/tex]

[tex] =\lim_{x\rightarrow2}~~ (x+2)(x^2+4)=32 [/tex]

It is okay to factor out and cancel.

yep, gokul is correct

Hmm, sloppy hand writing on my paper seems to be the cause of confusion.
after simplyfing [tex] (x^2-4) [/tex] I thought I had simplified [tex] (x^2+4) [/tex]...Even though this is a limit problem my gratatude is limitless... :rofl:
yeah i konw its corny but i had to say it...thanks a million though Gokul43201.

The reason it is "correct to cancel" is that if f(x) and g(x) have the same value every where except at x= a, then [itex] \lim_{x\rightarrow a}f(x)= \lim_{x\rightarrow a}g(x)[/itex].

In this problem, as long as x is not 2, [itex]\frac{x^4-16}{x-2}= (x^2+4)(x^2+2)[/itex] so the limits at 2 are the same.

1. What is a rational function?

A rational function is a mathematical expression that is written as the ratio of two polynomial functions. It can be written in the form f(x) = p(x)/q(x), where p(x) and q(x) are polynomial functions and q(x) is not equal to zero.

2. What is factoring out a rational function?

Factoring out a rational function involves breaking down the numerator and denominator of the function into smaller factors. This can help simplify the function and make it easier to solve.

3. Why is it important to factor out a rational function?

Factoring out a rational function can help us find the domain and range of the function, identify any horizontal or vertical asymptotes, and simplify the expression to make it easier to solve or graph.

4. What are the steps for solving a tuff limit problem involving factoring out a rational function?

The steps for solving a tuff limit problem involving factoring out a rational function are as follows:
1. Factor out the common factors in both the numerator and denominator.
2. Simplify the function by canceling out any common factors.
3. Check for any remaining factors that may cause the function to be undefined.
4. Use algebraic techniques, such as multiplying by the conjugate or long division, to simplify the expression further.
5. Evaluate the limit by plugging in the value of the variable that makes the expression undefined. If the value is a number, then that is the limit. If the value is undefined, then the limit does not exist.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a tuff limit problem involving factoring out a rational function?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a tuff limit problem involving factoring out a rational function are:
- Forgetting to factor out common factors in the numerator and denominator
- Canceling out factors that are not common in both the numerator and denominator
- Forgetting to check for remaining factors that may cause the function to be undefined
- Making arithmetic errors when simplifying the expression
- Using incorrect algebraic techniques to simplify the expression
- Forgetting to plug in the value of the variable that makes the expression undefined when evaluating the limit.