Converting Thermal Conductivity to Thermal Conduction/Resistance

In summary, this person is asking how to convert thermal conductivity to thermal conductance. They say that the units are different and they need help figuring out how to convert. There is a further question that they have posted separately.
hamzaaaa
Hi all

I want to convert thermal conductivity to thermal conductance. The problem is with the units.

for thermal conductivity the units are [W/(m.K)] and for thermal conductance the units are [W/K]

For E.g for copper thermal conductivity is 400[W/m.K]
how can I convert it to thermal conductance?Can it be simply by multiplying it my the length of the copper wire I am using?

Any help with be really appreciated.

Thanks and Regards
Hamza

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Hamza! :smile:
hamzaaaa said:
for thermal conductivity the units are [W/(m.K)] and for thermal conductance the units are [W/K]

For E.g for copper thermal conductivity is 400[W/m.K]
how can I convert it to thermal conductance?Can it be simply by multiplying it my the length of the copper wire I am using?

Yup!

You can always rely on the units …

just multiply by the length (in metres) …

"/m" means exactly what it says :biggrin:

hmm.. I think you need to multiply by the cross-sectional area and then divide by the length. The conductance should decrease with increased length and increase with larger area.

Consider if you add a second wire of equal size. You would expect the conductance to increase by a factor of 2 (and resistance drop by a factor of 2).

oops!

davidrit said:
hmm.. I think you need to multiply by the cross-sectional area and then divide by the length. The conductance should decrease with increased length and increase with larger area.

Consider if you add a second wire of equal size. You would expect the conductance to increase by a factor of 2 (and resistance drop by a factor of 2).

oops! :redface: davidrit :smile: is right!

(I thought the thermal conductivity was of the wire, but I see now it's of the material … see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_conductivity)

Thanks all...
very much appreciated.
I have a further query now which I have posted separately.

hxxp://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=330491

1. How do you convert thermal conductivity to thermal conduction?

Thermal conductivity is the measure of a material's ability to conduct heat, while thermal conduction is the actual transfer of heat through a material. To convert thermal conductivity to thermal conduction, you need to multiply the thermal conductivity value by the temperature difference and the cross-sectional area, and then divide by the thickness of the material. This will give you the thermal conduction value in units of watts (W) or kilowatts (kW).

2. What is the formula for converting thermal conductivity to thermal resistance?

The formula for converting thermal conductivity to thermal resistance is simply the reciprocal of the thermal conductivity value. This means that the thermal resistance value is equal to one divided by the thermal conductivity value. The resulting unit for thermal resistance is typically given in meters squared kelvin per watt (m^2K/W) or square feet hour degrees Fahrenheit per British thermal unit (ft^2hr°F/BTU).

3. Can thermal conductivity and thermal resistance be used interchangeably?

No, thermal conductivity and thermal resistance are not interchangeable terms. While they both relate to the transfer of heat, they are measured and calculated differently. Thermal conductivity is a material property, while thermal resistance is a measure of the resistance to heat transfer through a material. It is important to use the correct term and corresponding units when discussing or calculating thermal properties.

4. How does the thickness of a material affect thermal resistance?

The thickness of a material has a direct impact on thermal resistance. The thicker the material, the higher the thermal resistance will be. This is because heat has to travel a longer distance through the material, resulting in a slower rate of heat transfer. Therefore, thicker materials have a higher thermal resistance and are less efficient at conducting heat than thinner materials.

5. Is there a standard unit for thermal conductivity and thermal resistance?

Yes, there are standard units for thermal conductivity and thermal resistance. The SI unit for thermal conductivity is watts per meter-kelvin (W/mK), while the imperial unit is British thermal units per hour-foot-degree Fahrenheit (BTU/hr-ft°F). The SI unit for thermal resistance is meters squared kelvin per watt (m^2K/W), and the imperial unit is square feet hour degrees Fahrenheit per British thermal unit (ft^2hr°F/BTU).