The limit of Ultramassive Black Holes.

In summary, there is no known physical limit to the growth of black holes, but there are processes that can slow their growth such as radiation from accreting matter. The finite age of the universe may also limit the maximum mass of a black hole. Hawking radiation is not a significant factor in the growth of astrophysical black holes.
Researcher X
The limit of "Ultramassive" Black Holes.

There is no limit, is there?

Both these links show not a limit, but a regulation that slows the growth of a black hole, due to radiating most of its food away:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn14653-how-big-can-a-black-hole-grow.html
http://www.physorg.com/news140370694.html

Expansion is also stopping really big black holes from merging, but there doesn't seem to be a fundamental physical limit that I can find reference for.

Can black holes increase indefinitely by merging? Could you have a 50 Septillion solar mass monster within known physics? (Not that the conditions to form it can be met) Are there any strange effects that would become evident as black holes become so massive? As far as I can tell, it would become harder and harder to identify it as a black hole at all.

Astronomy news on Phys.org

Hi Researcher X,

Thanks for the link, that was fascinating.

If some physical processes limit the growth of a black hole, then the limited growth coupled with the finite age of the universe gives you a maximum mass. So I don't think there is anything preventing a 50 septillion solar mass black hole from forming other than a lack of time.

The strange thing is that we see ~billion solar mass black holes at a redshift of 6 (1 billion years after the big bang). This means that black holes must grow really fast in the early universe, and then grow very little over the next 12 billion years.

-bombadil

That does not mesh well with my understanding. I though that Hawking radiation *decreased* as mass increased.

CRGreathouse said:
That does not mesh well with my understanding. I though that Hawking radiation *decreased* as mass increased.

Hello CRGreathouse,

When we talk about radiation from a black hole, we're talking about the radiation that originates from the disc of matter accreting onto the black hole. This accreting matter radiates far more energy than Hawking radiation does.

In general, Hawking radiation is not a significant process for the growth of astrophysical black holes (i.e. black holes that more than the mass of the sun). The amount of mass that is radiated away via Hawking radiation is minuscule compared to how much matter the black holes sucks in from interstellar gas and stars.

What is an ultramassive black hole?

An ultramassive black hole is a type of black hole that is extremely massive, with a mass ranging from 100 billion to 10 trillion times the mass of our sun. These black holes are found at the centers of large galaxies and are thought to play a crucial role in the formation and evolution of galaxies.

How are ultramassive black holes formed?

Ultramassive black holes are thought to form through the merging of smaller black holes and the accretion of gas and stars. As these black holes grow in size, they merge with other black holes and continue to grow until they reach their ultramassive size.

What is the limit of ultramassive black holes?

The limit of ultramassive black holes is currently not fully understood. Some theories suggest that there may be a maximum size for black holes, while others propose that they can continue to grow indefinitely.

What is the significance of studying ultramassive black holes?

Studying ultramassive black holes can provide valuable insights into the formation and evolution of galaxies. These black holes have a significant impact on their surrounding environments and can help us understand the processes that shape our universe.

Can ultramassive black holes be observed directly?

No, ultramassive black holes cannot be observed directly as they do not emit any light. However, their presence can be inferred through the effects they have on their surrounding environments, such as the motion of stars or gas clouds.