Finding Equations for Plane Containing Intersection of Quadric Surfaces

• Thread starter Infernorage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Surfaces
In summary, the conversation is about finding the name of two surfaces and an equation for the plane that contains their intersection. The equations for the surfaces are x^2+2y^2-z^2+3x=1 and 2x^2+4y^2-2z^2-5y=0. The conversation also includes a discussion on how to approach solving the problem and different ideas for finding the solution. The conversation concludes with a request for someone to provide guidance on how to start solving the problem.
Infernorage
Here is the problem exactly how it is written on my paper...

Consider the surfaces x^2+2y^2-z^2+3x=1 and 2x^2+4y^2-2z^2-5y=0.
a. What is the name of each surface?
b. Find an equation for the plane which contains the intersection of these two surfaces.

That is the question. For "a", I generally know what needs to be done, but I can't figure out how to get the equations into the form of a standard quadric surface equation. Do I just complete the square, or what? Also, I really have no idea how to do "b". Can someone solve this and please explain to me how to do it? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Infernorage said:
Do I just complete the square, or what?.
This sounds like a reasonable place to start -- even if it doesn't work, it's still something to try. What'd you get after you did it? Why'd you abandon that line of attack?

Hurkyl said:
This sounds like a reasonable place to start -- even if it doesn't work, it's still something to try. What'd you get after you did it? Why'd you abandon that line of attack?

I got [tex]\frac{(x+3/2)^2}{13/4} + \frac{y^2}{13/8} - \frac{z^2}{13/4} = 1[/tex] and [tex]\frac{x^2}{25/128} + \frac{(y-5/8)^2}{25/256} - \frac{z^2}{25/128} = 1[/tex]

Based on these equations it seems like they are both hyperboloid of one sheet surfaces. Is this correct? These answers seem a bit strange, which is why I made the thread on here to ask about it.

I really don't know what to do about "b" at all, I really need help with that.

I haven't multiplied it out, but those equations look roughly like I would expect.

For "b", it seems the obvious first thing to try is to look at the intersection of the two surfaces! It's the set of solutions to both equations, so you should be able to do some simplification.

Another idea that springs to mind is to try and think of some kind of information that would let you determine the plane -- and then try and compute that information.

Hurkyl said:
I haven't multiplied it out, but those equations look roughly like I would expect.

For "b", it seems the obvious first thing to try is to look at the intersection of the two surfaces! It's the set of solutions to both equations, so you should be able to do some simplification.

Another idea that springs to mind is to try and think of some kind of information that would let you determine the plane -- and then try and compute that information.

Sorry, but I am still unsure of how to start. How should I equate the two equations together to find the points of intersection? Can you start it for me and just show me what you would do? Thanks.

Yes, since both expressions are equal to 1, they are equal to each other. Although, instead of the rather complicated expressions you derived, I would recommend going back to [itex]x^2+ 2y^2- z^2+ 3x- 1= 0= 2x^2+ 4y^2- 2z^2- 5y. You can solve that for, say, [itex]z^2[/itex] in terms of x and y and put that back into the original equations to get an equation is x and y. Then solve for either x or y in terms of the other and, perhaps, use the remaining variable as parameter.

1. What is a quadric surface?

A quadric surface is a three-dimensional surface that can be described by a second-degree polynomial equation in three variables. It includes shapes like spheres, ellipsoids, cones, and cylinders.

2. What is the general form of a quadric surface equation?

The general form of a quadric surface equation is Ax2 + By2 + Cz2 + Dxy + Exz + Fyz + Gx + Hy + Iz + J = 0, where A, B, and C are coefficients that determine the shape of the surface, and D, E, and F are called cross-product terms.

3. How do you identify the type of quadric surface from its equation?

The type of quadric surface can be identified by the coefficients in its equation. If A, B, and C are all non-zero and equal, it is a sphere. If two of the coefficients are equal and the third is zero, it is a cylinder. If two of the coefficients have opposite signs and the third is zero, it is a hyperbolic cylinder. If two of the coefficients are equal and the third is non-zero, it is a cone. If one of the coefficients is zero and the rest are non-zero, it is a plane. If all coefficients are non-zero but none are equal, it is an ellipsoid.

4. How do you graph a quadric surface?

To graph a quadric surface, you can use a graphing calculator or software, or you can plot points by choosing values for two variables and solving for the third. For example, to plot points on a sphere, you can choose values for x and y, and solve for z using the equation z = ±√((r2 - x2 - y2)), where r is the radius of the sphere.

5. What are some real-world applications of quadric surfaces?

Quadric surfaces have many practical applications in fields like engineering, architecture, and physics. For example, ellipsoids are used to model the shape of planets and other celestial bodies, cylinders and cones are used in construction and manufacturing, and paraboloids are used to design satellite dishes and telescopes.