Proving Non-Existence of a Limit: Solving 1/(x^2+x^3)

• Thread starter lizielou09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the limit as x approaches 0 of 1/(x2+x3) using the definition of limit. The negation of the definition is also mentioned, and the conversation concludes with the suggestion to show that for all positive real numbers M, |1/(x^2 + x^3)| > M if x is taken sufficiently small.
lizielou09

Homework Statement

does not exist.

Prove that the limit as x approaches 0 of 1/(x2+x3)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I have to prove that the absolute value of 1/(x2+x3) - L is greater than or equal to epsilon for some delta. What do I do next?

Physics news on Phys.org
The definition of limit says:
[tex]\exists L, \forall \epsilon > 0, \exists \delta > 0, \forall x \text{ s.t.} |x| < \delta: |f(x) - L| < \epsilon[/tex]
where L is the supposed limit.

What is the negation of this?

The negation would be that the absolute value of f(x)-L is greater than or equal to epsilon. But how do I prove that there exists a delta for which that is true?

Why don't you just show that for all positive real numbers M, |1/(x^2 + x^3)| > M if x is taken sufficiently small?

Yes, but you should take care with the quantifiers: the negation of
[tex]
\exists L, \forall \epsilon > 0, \exists \delta > 0
[/tex]
is
[tex]
\forall L, \exists \epsilon > 0, \forall \delta > 0
[/tex]

I was stressing this because I think it is important that you do not fall into such logical traps.

Of course, if you just want to solve the question, follow JG's advice :)

1. How do you prove a limit doesn't exist?

To prove that a limit doesn't exist, you need to show that there are two different possible limits for the same function at a specific point. This can be done by approaching the point from different directions and showing that the function has different values or does not approach a single value.

2. What are some common techniques used to prove a limit doesn't exist?

Some common techniques used to prove a limit doesn't exist include using the Squeeze Theorem, the definition of a limit, and the properties of limits. These techniques involve analyzing the behavior of the function as it approaches the point in question.

3. Can a limit not exist at a finite value?

Yes, a limit can fail to exist at a finite value. This can occur if the function has a vertical asymptote or a jump discontinuity at the point in question. In these cases, the limit will approach either positive or negative infinity, rather than a finite value.

4. Is it possible for a limit to not exist at infinity?

Yes, a limit can fail to exist at infinity. This can happen if the function oscillates or has a behavior that does not approach a single value as the input approaches infinity. In these cases, the limit is said to be undefined or does not exist.

5. Why is it important to prove that a limit doesn't exist?

Proving that a limit doesn't exist is essential for understanding the behavior of a function and making accurate predictions about its values. It also helps to identify points of discontinuity and asymptotes, which are important in various areas of mathematics and science.