Analysis of a function(relatively easy)

• Thread starter Wingeer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary: I don't see why you are not answering my question.In summary, the conversation discusses finding f'(0) using the mean value theorem and the definition of the derivative. It is then asked to show that for all intervals containing x=0, there is a point where f'(x) < 0, which is accomplished by writing out f'(x) and considering values of x=1/(n*pi). The conversation also touches on finding f'(0) using a limit and clarifying the definition of the derivative. Finally, there is a discussion about the second task, which is still unclear.
Wingeer

Homework Statement

Given the function:
[tex]f(x)=\left\{
\begin{array}{cl}
x+2x^2\sin\left(\frac{1}{x}\right), & x\neq 0 \\
0, & x=0
\end{array}\right.[/tex]
& [tex] f'(0)=1[/tex]

"Show that all intervals containing x=0, will also have a point where f'(x) < 0. (This shows that even if f'(0) > 0, f is not increasing on any interval containing x=0"

Homework Equations

Well, this is part b of a problem. Part a was to find f'(0)=1, which I did by the mean-value theorem.

The Attempt at a Solution

If I could just get a hint on how to solve this, part b, I will attempt a solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
Write out f'(x) and think about what values it takes for x=1/(n*pi) where n is an integer.

How did you "use the mean value theorem" to find f'(0)= 0?

HallsofIvy said:
How did you "use the mean value theorem" to find f'(0)= 0?

Well, now you are making me unsure. But this is what I did:
[tex] f'(0)= \frac {f(1)-f(-1)}{1-(-1)} = \frac {(1+2 sin(1))-(-1 +2 sin(-1))}{2} = \frac {2+2 sin(1) - sin(-1)}{2} = \frac {2}{2} = 1[/tex]

Wingeer said:
Well, now you are making me unsure. But this is what I did:
[tex] f'(0)= \frac {f(1)-f(-1)}{1-(-1)} = \frac {(1+2 sin(1))-(-1 +2 sin(-1))}{2} = \frac {2+2 sin(1) - sin(-1)}{2} = \frac {2}{2} = 1[/tex]

Aside from being numerically wrong, that's not the definition of the derivative f'(0). Don't you have to take a limit to find f'(0)?

Well. By the definition of the derivative, we have got [tex]f'(x) = {\lim}\limits_{h \to 0} \frac {x + 2(x+h)^2 \cdot sin( \frac{1}{x+h}) -(x + 2x^2 sin (\frac {1}{x}))}{h}[/tex]

Edit: flaw in the expression. Thanks to Dick for pointing it out.

Last edited:
That getting there. But you want f' when x=0. That makes (f(x+h)-f(x))/h just (f(h)-f(0))/h. Since f(0)=0, that's just f(h)/h. BTW don't forget the x term in the definition of f(x).

Dick said:
That getting there. But you want f' when x=0. That makes (f(x+h)-f(x))/h just (f(h)-f(0))/h. Since f(0)=0, that's just f(h)/h. BTW don't forget the x term in the definition of f(x).

Did I forget something?
Yes, I see it now. The reason I didn't do this at first, was that I filled in, then substituted x with 0, and therefore got some undefined trigonometric identities.

Edit: Which I now see is defined by the definition of the function. My head is not top notch today.

Last edited:
My point was that knowing that (f(1)- f(-1))/(1-(-1))= 1 only tells you that there is SOME x between -1 and 1 such that f'(p)= 1, not that that point is x=0!

The reason I asked instead of simply saying that the mean value theorem wouldn't work is that if you could find a sequence of points [itex]\{x_n\}[/itex] such that [itex](f(x_n)- f(-x_n))/(x_n- (-x_n))= 1[/itex] then you could "squeez" that point to x= 0, but I couldn't see how to do that.

In any case, as Dick told you, the basic formula [itex]f'(0)= lim (f(h)- f(0))/h[/itex] works.

Yes, I get it now. The second task is still a bit diffuse to me though.

Wingeer said:
Yes, I get it now. The second task is still a bit diffuse to me though.

You are probably overlooking post 2.

What is a function and how is it analyzed?

A function is a mathematical relationship between two variables, usually represented as x and y. To analyze a function, you can plot the points on a graph, determine the domain and range, find the slope and intercepts, and identify any patterns or symmetries.

What is the domain and range of a function?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values, while the range is the set of all possible output values. In other words, the domain is the x-values and the range is the y-values.

How do you find the slope of a function?

The slope of a function is the measure of its steepness. It can be found by taking the ratio of the change in y-values over the change in x-values, also known as rise over run. This is represented as a fraction, where the numerator is the change in y-values and the denominator is the change in x-values.

What are intercepts and how do you find them?

Intercepts are the points where a function crosses the x-axis (x-intercept) or the y-axis (y-intercept). To find the x-intercept, set y=0 and solve for x. To find the y-intercept, set x=0 and solve for y.

How can you determine if a function is even, odd, or neither?

A function is even if it is symmetric about the y-axis, meaning that when you reflect the graph over the y-axis, it remains unchanged. A function is odd if it is symmetric about the origin, meaning that when you rotate the graph 180 degrees around the origin, it remains unchanged. If a function does not exhibit either of these symmetries, it is considered neither even nor odd.