Work-Energy Theorem / Finding The Mass

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the mass of a car using the given information of work, initial velocity, and final velocity. The correct equation to use is 2W = mv_f^2 - mv_i^2 = m(v_f^2 - v_i^2), and the final answer for the car's mass is m = \frac{2W}{v_f^2 - v_i^2}.
crono_

Homework Statement

It takes 241 kJ of work to accelerate a car from 22.0 m/s to 28.8 m/s. What is the car's mass?

W = 241000 J

vo = 22.0 m/s

vf = 28.8 m/s

m = ?

Homework Equations

KE = 1/2 mv2

W = KEf - KEo

The Attempt at a Solution

W = KEf - KEo

W = 1/2 mvf2 - 1/2 mvo2

I was trying to solve for m as everything else is known, but I think I got stuck somewhere in the algebra.

W = 1/2 (mvf2 - mvo2)

2W = mvf2 - mvo2

2W / vf2 - vo2 = m - m

That's as far as I got. I'm wondering if by switching the sides of the equation so that their signs would change if then m - m could become m + m, thus 2m. Then divide both sides by 2.

Does that seem right?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your work looks fine until the last step. Your equations should read:

[tex]2W = mv_f^2 - mv_i^2 = m(v_f^2 - v_i^2)[/tex]

[tex]m = \frac{2W}{v_f^2 - v_i^2}[/tex]

Thank you! I completely overlooked that! :)

You're welcome!

1. What is the Work-Energy Theorem?

The Work-Energy Theorem states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In other words, the amount of work done on an object will result in a change in its speed or direction of motion.

2. How do you calculate the work done on an object?

The work done on an object can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance it moves in the direction of the force. This can be represented by the equation W = F * d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

3. Can you use the Work-Energy Theorem to find an object's mass?

Yes, the Work-Energy Theorem can be rearranged to solve for mass. The equation would be m = W / (g * h), where m is mass, W is work, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height through which the object is lifted.

4. What are the units of measurement for work and energy?

The units for work are joules (J) and the units for energy are also joules (J). This is because work and energy are directly related to each other.

5. How is the Work-Energy Theorem related to the concept of mechanical advantage?

The Work-Energy Theorem is related to mechanical advantage because it allows us to calculate the amount of work done on an object, which can help us determine the mechanical advantage of a simple machine. Mechanical advantage is a measure of how much easier a machine makes a task by reducing the amount of force required.