Spin states of the addition of 2 spin 1/2 particles

In summary, the conversation discusses a QM question about the addition of the spin of 2 electrons, with a focus on showing the 4 spin states given by a1a2, b1b2, (1/(sqrt(2)))(a1b2+b1a2), and (1/(sqrt(2)))(a1b2-b1a2). It also addresses the values of S and ms corresponding to each state and suggests further research on the topic.
SimonRoberts
Hi everyone,

A QM question that I am stuck on:

Consider the addition of the spin of 2 electrons, s1=s2=½. Show
that there are one ms=1; two ms=0 and one ms=-1 states. Show the
4 spin states are given by:

a1a2
b1b2
(1/(sqrt(2)))(a1b2+b1a2)
(1/(sqrt(2)))(a1b2-b1a2)

I've used a and b in place of alpha and beta, which represent the spin up and spin down states.

I can see why there are one ms=1 and one ms=-1 states, and 2 ms=0 states, from adding the values of ms for individual particles, but am not sure on how to proceed to the second part.

Any nudge in the right direction would be great.

Cheers,

Simon.

Physics news on Phys.org
SimonRoberts said:
Hi everyone,

A QM question that I am stuck on:

Consider the addition of the spin of 2 electrons, s1=s2=½. Show
that there are one ms=1; two ms=0 and one ms=-1 states. Show the
4 spin states are given by:

a1a2
b1b2
(1/(sqrt(2)))(a1b2+b1a2)
(1/(sqrt(2)))(a1b2-b1a2)

I've used a and b in place of alpha and beta, which represent the spin up and spin down states.

I can see why there are one ms=1 and one ms=-1 states, and 2 ms=0 states, from adding the values of ms for individual particles, but am not sure on how to proceed to the second part.

Any nudge in the right direction would be great.

Cheers,

Simon.

Check out this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=376142"

and the one referred to in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
SimonRoberts said:
That is because you are not given enough information. Any linear combination of the last two states is a state with ms=0.

Now, it happens that the first state has s=1 and the second state has s=0, and that is why these two particular linear combinations of ms=0 states are important. But the question does say anything about the value of s.

Cheers for the help.

The next part says:

Indicate which values of S and ms correspond to each of the 4 states.

So far what I've done is substituted the spin up (1 0 ) (<< vertically! don't know how to format that on here!) and spin down (0 1) into the states it says I am looking for .

e.g, (1/sqrt2)*(1 -1)

hmmm...

This area is very small to present these big issues. As you search on this topic you will go in deep. Online is best help for you. There you will find several e-books to solve your problems.

For the states aa and bb it should be clear that they can only belong to s=1. As they form a irreducible representation of the rotation group, the third state with s=1 should be obtainable from any of the two by applying a suitable rotation. How does a single spin transform under a rotation of 90 degrees? How does the product aa transform under the rotation?

1. What are spin states and how are they related to particles?

Spin states refer to the intrinsic angular momentum of particles, which is a quantum mechanical property. This spin can have different values, such as 0, 1/2, 1, etc. and it determines how the particle behaves in a magnetic field.

2. How is the addition of 2 spin 1/2 particles calculated?

The addition of 2 spin 1/2 particles is calculated using the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients, which are used to combine two angular momenta to form a new angular momentum. These coefficients take into account the possible combinations of spin states for the two particles.

3. What is the significance of the spin states of particles?

The spin states of particles have significant implications in various fields of physics, such as quantum mechanics, nuclear physics, and particle physics. They help in understanding the behavior and interactions of particles, and are crucial in determining the properties of atoms, molecules, and nuclei.

4. Can the spin states of particles be changed?

Yes, the spin states of particles can be changed through various processes, such as interactions with other particles or external magnetic fields. This can result in the particle transitioning to a different spin state with a different value of angular momentum.

5. How do the spin states affect the energy levels of particles?

The spin states of particles play a significant role in determining the energy levels of particles. For example, in atoms, electrons with different spin states have different energy levels, and this is crucial in understanding the electronic structure and properties of atoms. In nuclei, the spin states of nucleons also contribute to the energy levels and stability of the nucleus.