Separable Differential Equation

In summary, the volume V of water in a particular container can be calculated using the equation dV/dh = 16 sqrt(4-(h-2)2). To find the volume when the depth h is 4, you do not need to use separation of variables. Instead, you can integrate the expression √(4-(h-2)²) using a trig substitution, where sin t = u/2, to find the antiderivative. Don't forget to undo the two substitutions when evaluating the antiderivative.
crm07149

Homework Statement

The volume V of water in a particular container is related to the depth h of the water by the equation dV/dh below. If V = 0 when h = 0, find V when h = 4.

Homework Equations

dV/dh = 16 sqrt(4-(h-2)2)

V(0) = 0
V(4) = ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have not gotten the ODE in a form that I can integrate using separation of variables. I have gotten to the point dV/dh = 16 sqrt(-h2+4h) but this doesn't help much.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Unless you miswrote the equation, you don't need to use separation of variables in this problem, since the right side is an equation of 1 variable. But you can do it like this:

dV/dh = √(4-(h-2)²)

move the dh over
∫dV = ∫√(4-(h-2)²) dh

V = (integrate that expression with respect to h) + C

The problem was from my textbook under the "separable equations" section so I listed it as that.

Integrating the expression √(4-(h-2)²) is what I was having trouble with. I tried u substitution, integration by parts, and other methods for awhile. Am I missing something obvious to integrate the expression?

I would try a trig substitution. To make things a little simpler, I would make an ordinary substitution u = h - 2, and then the trig substitution.

I usually draw a right triangle, with t being one of the acute angles, hypotenuse 2 and opposite (to angle t) side u. So the substitution here is sin t = u/2.

Don't forget that you'll need to undo two substitutions when you finally evaluate your antiderivative.

1. What is a separable differential equation?

A separable differential equation is a type of differential equation where the dependent and independent variables can be separated into different equations. This allows for the equation to be solved in a step-by-step process.

2. How do you solve a separable differential equation?

To solve a separable differential equation, you first need to separate the variables and then integrate both sides of the equation. This will result in a general solution, which can then be solved for a specific solution by using initial conditions.

3. What is the difference between a separable differential equation and a non-separable differential equation?

The main difference between these two types of differential equations is that a separable differential equation can be separated into two different equations, while a non-separable differential equation cannot. This makes solving separable differential equations easier than solving non-separable ones.

4. What are some real-world applications of separable differential equations?

Separable differential equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to model various processes such as population growth, radioactive decay, and fluid flow. They can also be used to solve problems related to financial markets and economics.

5. Can all differential equations be solved using separation of variables?

No, not all differential equations can be solved using separation of variables. Only those that can be separated into two different equations can be solved using this method. Other techniques, such as substitution or the use of integrating factors, may be required for non-separable differential equations.