Embedded ADC with external Signal Conditioning

• Thread starter cdanderson04
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Adc Signal
In summary: ADC for data acquisition, it's probably not worth spending a lot of money on a high-end module. If you're doing more complex things with the data (e.g. signal processing, control, data logging), a more expensive module might be a better choice.
cdanderson04
Hello all:

This is my first post on the physics forum so I am excited to have found such a great community of scientists.

My problem is that I have been looking for an embedded board that contains an ADC but has a very good external signal conditioning stage. This will be for a data acquisition and the signal will be an analog, small range, voltage, most like 0-5V. I have been doing some research on Analog Devices and they have everything in a chip. I was looking for a more module like board. The ability to change the parameters in case the analog input changes would be great. For example the range is just 0-1V.

Any help that anyone could possibly provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Lots of these systems will have the ADC in a chip. They are called SoC (System-on-chip) and you should be really using those to do your design. But if you want an ADC module outside of your chip, then you need to purchase a ADC IC and interface that to the inputs of your uC. Here you have some flexibility to choose the precision, whereas SoCs may put an upper limit on the precision.

Maybe others may be able to suggest boards.

Yeah. That is pretty much what I wanted to, but I wanted the signal conditioning outside of the chip.

So pretty much I want.

Sensor input > signal conditioning > ADC > micro-controller

Thanks for the input!

cdanderson04 said:
Yeah. That is pretty much what I wanted to, but I wanted the signal conditioning outside of the chip.

So pretty much I want.

Sensor input > signal conditioning > ADC > micro-controller

Thanks for the input!

Have you looked at the National Instruments line-up?

http://www.ni.com/dataacquisition/

They have lots of different form factors and interfaces for ADC boards and modules.

There's also Omega:

http://www.omega.com/das/

ranger said:
Lots of these systems will have the ADC in a chip. They are called SoC (System-on-chip) and you should be really using those to do your design. But if you want an ADC module outside of your chip, then you need to purchase a ADC IC and interface that to the inputs of your uC. Here you have some flexibility to choose the precision, whereas SoCs may put an upper limit on the precision.

Well, aside from offering more flexibility in selection, an external ADC allows some greater degree of immunity to noise from the microcontroller itself. Some microcontrollers can be put into a partial sleep state during conversion to minimize such noise, but an external converter could be put on a completely separate, well-filtered power supply, and could also perhaps be located closer to the signal source. It also gives you more room for future changes...it's easier to switch to a different ADC (or add another one) than it is to move to a different processor if it proves not to meet your needs.

If a really high quality ADC and analog section are what you want, you would probably be better off picking a uC you're familiar with or can more easily get tools for, and hooking it up to external components that suit your needs. If low cost/low complexity/compactness are higher priorities, a uC/DSP/SoC with an adequate on-chip ADC and analog front end is probably a better bet. It really depends on what you're trying to do...

1. What is an embedded ADC with external signal conditioning?

An embedded ADC with external signal conditioning refers to a system in which an analog-to-digital converter (ADC) is integrated into a microcontroller or microprocessor, along with external circuitry for signal conditioning. The signal conditioning circuitry helps to filter and amplify the analog signal before it is converted to digital form by the ADC, improving the accuracy and reliability of the measurement.

2. How does an embedded ADC with external signal conditioning work?

The analog signal from a sensor or other source is first routed through external circuitry, such as an amplifier or filter, to condition and improve the quality of the signal. The conditioned signal is then fed into the ADC, which converts it to a digital value that can be processed and analyzed by the microcontroller or microprocessor. This allows for more precise and reliable measurements of the analog signal.

3. What are the benefits of using an embedded ADC with external signal conditioning?

One of the main benefits of using this type of system is improved accuracy and precision in analog signal measurement. The external signal conditioning circuitry helps to filter out noise and unwanted signals, resulting in more reliable and accurate readings. Additionally, having the ADC integrated into the microcontroller or microprocessor can save space and reduce costs compared to using separate components.

4. What types of applications typically use embedded ADC with external signal conditioning?

This type of system is commonly used in applications that require accurate and reliable measurement of analog signals, such as in industrial control, medical devices, and scientific instruments. It can also be found in consumer electronics, such as smartphones and digital cameras, for converting analog audio or video signals to digital form.

5. Are there any limitations to using an embedded ADC with external signal conditioning?

While this type of system can provide improved accuracy and reliability, it may also introduce additional complexity and cost compared to using a standalone ADC. The external signal conditioning circuitry may also introduce additional noise or distortion to the signal, so careful design and calibration are necessary to ensure accurate measurements. Additionally, the performance of the system may be limited by the resolution and speed of the ADC and the quality of the external circuitry.