Mechanics with vectors question

In summary, the conversation discusses a question involving a particle and its motion. The first part involves writing equations for the force and motion of the particle. The second part involves finding initial conditions. The final part discusses the trajectory equation and how to find a relationship between x and y.
simpleas123
Alright all I've been attempting this question and I've become stuck.

This is the question.

Homework Statement

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/2575/63353658.jpg

Homework Equations

In the working out.

The Attempt at a Solution

So for the first part i wrote F=Mx^.. (X double dot).
I also stated that if there was no force acting on the particle then the particle would stay at a constant speed V if we ignored instances such as the particle being on a slope.

For the second part i wrote (Im using X to denote x hat (x^^), same applied with y.)

F_x X + F_y Y = m x^.. X + m y^.. Y

=> x^.. = 2 , y^.. = 3x^2

Now for the third part when writing down the inital conditions this is where i become confused. Shall i write it in plain english such as;

At time equal to 0, this displacement of the particle x^.. will be 0.

Im not too sure how to answer that part, or the last part.

Any help is greatly appricated cheers people :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the trajectory eqn. you can integrate the two eqn. you got in the previous part twice w.r.t time . Then eliminate the t from the two eqn. to obtain the relationship b/w x and y.

1. What are vectors in mechanics?

Vectors in mechanics are physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. They are used to represent forces, velocities, accelerations, and other quantities in the study of mechanics. Vectors are typically represented using arrows, where the length of the arrow represents the magnitude and the direction of the arrow represents the direction.

2. How are vectors used in mechanics?

Vectors are used in mechanics to describe the motion and forces of objects. They are particularly useful in analyzing systems with multiple forces acting in different directions. By breaking down these forces into their vector components, we can better understand the overall motion and forces on an object.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector in mechanics?

A scalar is a physical quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. In mechanics, scalars are used to describe quantities such as mass, speed, and temperature, while vectors are used to describe quantities such as force, velocity, and acceleration.

4. How do you add or subtract vectors in mechanics?

In mechanics, vectors can be added or subtracted using the head-to-tail method. This involves placing the tail of one vector at the head of another vector and drawing a new vector from the tail of the first vector to the head of the second vector. The resulting vector is the sum or difference of the two original vectors.

5. What are some common applications of vectors in mechanics?

Vectors are commonly used in mechanics to analyze motion and forces in various systems, such as projectile motion, circular motion, and friction. They are also used in engineering and physics to design structures, machines, and other systems that involve the use of forces and motion.