Poisoned Trees: What One Fool Can Do

• Thread starter nismaratwork
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trees
In summary, a man in Alabama was arrested for allegedly poisoning landmark live oak trees on the Auburn University campus. He was taken into custody and will face charges for criminal mischief. The incident has caused outrage and sadness, as the trees have cultural significance and may not be able to be easily replaced. This act highlights the ignorance and casual cruelty that can lead to destruction of valuable natural resources.
He was born & Florida & was a Texas ranger & doesn't seem to know anybody on the Alabama team, so I wonder why he's such a fan of U of Alabama. He even named his kids "Crimson" & "Bear" after the Alabama colours & a former coach's nickname.

Physics news on Phys.org
fourier jr said:
He was born & Florida & was a Texas ranger & doesn't seem to know anybody on the Alabama team, so I wonder why he's such a fan of U of Alabama. He even named his kids "Crimson" & "Bear" after the Alabama colours & a former coach's nickname.

GORK. Maybe he's just mean, and the kind of guy who needs to "fit in". It would explain why he thought that his gloating would impress "his side". Such a fool.

he said there was an incident back in 1983 when the former Alabama coach died (Bear something) & the Auburn fans tp'ed the trees in celebration (a story nobody can back up btw). They also put one of their stars' jerseys on some statue of an Alabama player, so I think in his mind he's retaliating for those things. Such a stupid thing to do, especially phoning the radio station to give himself away, because now he's looking at 10 years in jail. One http://www.ajc.com/sports/auburn-tree-killer-the-841586.html [Broken] I read said he might face federal charges too (not sure what, maybe EPA related?).

Last edited by a moderator:
fourier jr said:
he said there was an incident back in 1983 when the former Alabama coach died (Bear something) & the Auburn fans tp'ed the trees in celebration (a story nobody can back up btw). They also put one of their stars' jerseys on some statue of an Alabama player, so I think in his mind he's retaliating for those things. Such a stupid thing to do, especially phoning the radio station to give himself away, because now he's looking at 10 years in jail, & one http://www.ajc.com/sports/auburn-tree-killer-the-841586.html [Broken] I read said he might face federal charges too (not sure what, maybe EPA related?).

Indeed, and then he's going to face enough civil suits to ensure that his paycheck is so heavily garnished, he'll be eating it for nutrition.

This is why I hate sports.

:mad:

As one who was born in, and lives in, the land of "more tree's than you can imagine", killing trees for fun, or spite, or recognition, is sacrilege.

I've only killed mine, because they were so huge, they have, on occasion, tried to kill me.

Here is an opinion from someone who is NOT a tree-hugger:

1. Less than 10% of old-growth trees remain intact here in the U.S. I think it's down to less than 7%, in fact. I say protect them at all costs. If some billion-dollar exec can't make his new desk from an old-growth tree, screw him.

2. Renewable forests comprise more than 90% of all forests here in the U.S., and they've been grown like crops as assuredly as wheat. The only different is the length of the growing cycle.

3. I'd like to see 20% of the land set aside for non-harvesting, and I would like to see those areas allowed to grow into old-growth forests, over time.

4. Anyone who poisons trees should be seen and considered a "limited effect" bio-terrorist," and prosecuted accordingly. That's just sick!

On a more personal note, I spent approximately 160 days over 11 years waterskiing on a lake in Florida. There was a tree there under which we usually camped throughout the day (if we were the first there, and given my Dad's proclivity to wake up earlier than anyone else), we usually managed to arrive around 6am! Perhaps 7am. Whatever. It was shortly after sunrise, and we were almost always the first on site, the first to hit the water, the first to waterski, and the first to enjoy a wonderful breakfast of simple toast, eggs, and sausage cooked by my Mom, about the time others started arriving.

Google Maps says http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl"is the tree. I'll check back later to confirm their URL is actually pinpointing the spot.

I grew up under the shade of that tree. I revisited it in the late 90s, and it was still there. On Google Earth, to date, it's still there. If I could afford to put a huge plaque around that tree which states why that tree should be preserved, I would.

That doesn't guarantee squat, but if any of you have any pull with Kingsley Lake or Camp Blanding, please note that tree holds memories for hundreds of us, if not thousands of us over the years.

mugaliens said:
Here is an opinion from someone who is NOT a tree-hugger:

1. Less than 10% of old-growth trees remain intact here in the U.S. I think it's down to less than 7%, in fact. I say protect them at all costs. If some billion-dollar exec can't make his new desk from an old-growth tree, screw him.

2. Renewable forests comprise more than 90% of all forests here in the U.S., and they've been grown like crops as assuredly as wheat. The only different is the length of the growing cycle.

3. I'd like to see 20% of the land set aside for non-harvesting, and I would like to see those areas allowed to grow into old-growth forests, over time.

4. Anyone who poisons trees should be seen and considered a "limited effect" bio-terrorist," and prosecuted accordingly. That's just sick!

On a more personal note, I spent approximately 160 days over 11 years waterskiing on a lake in Florida. There was a tree there under which we usually camped throughout the day (if we were the first there, and given my Dad's proclivity to wake up earlier than anyone else), we usually managed to arrive around 6am! Perhaps 7am. Whatever. It was shortly after sunrise, and we were almost always the first on site, the first to hit the water, the first to waterski, and the first to enjoy a wonderful breakfast of simple toast, eggs, and sausage cooked by my Mom, about the time others started arriving.

Google Maps says http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl"is the tree. I'll check back later to confirm their URL is actually pinpointing the spot.

I grew up under the shade of that tree. I revisited it in the late 90s, and it was still there. On Google Earth, to date, it's still there. If I could afford to put a huge plaque around that tree which states why that tree should be preserved, I would.

That doesn't guarantee squat, but if any of you have any pull with Kingsley Lake or Camp Blanding, please note that tree holds memories for hundreds of us, if not thousands of us over the years.

I'd add... 130 years that tree has been there, alive. That link to the past may seem trite to some (not you, clearly), but we're human... we NEED props. If this guy pissed on the Liberty Bell, I think the outrage would be more clear, even though the damage would be zilch.

Still, he can only hope for a plea-bargain... anything less and I suspect he'll face serious jail time. As a judge, I'd put him up for 2 years (which is nothing with good behavior and parole), and enough community service to kill the spiteful old bastard. It's the civil suits I'm looking forward to, individual AND state. His life, for all intents and purposes, is now over.

Auburn fans rally for famous trees

I don't think a rally is going to do much good.

The trees' plight -- university scientists say its doubtful they can survive the poisoning with a harsh herbicide -- has even helped bind the deep-seated rivalry between Auburn fans and its cross-state arch rival, the University of Alabama.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/02/19/alabama.auburn.trees/" [Broken]

I don't know why I thought of this story but there's still signs of life

http://www2.oanow.com/news/2012/mar/08/toomers-oaks-producing-new-leaves-still-ailing-ar-3374769/ [Broken]

crazy, seems to be a pattern with these two teams:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...shooting-over-alabama-loss-to-auburn/3819905/

Sister: Deadly shooting was over Alabama loss

The Associated Press 7:50 p.m. EST December 2, 2013

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — A woman charged with killing a fellow Alabama fan after the end of last weekend's Iron Bowl football game was angry that the victim and others didn't seem upset over the Crimson Tide's loss to archrival Auburn, said the sister of the slain woman.Adrian Laroze Briskey, 28, was charged Monday with murder in the killing of 36-year-old Michelle Shepherd.

Hoover police Capt. Jim Coker said both Birmingham women were Alabama fans and at the same party for the annual game between intrastate rivals. With no time left on the clock, Auburn returned a missed Crimson Tide field goal more than 100 yards for a 34-28 victory, dashing any hopes of Alabama playing for a third straight national championship.

I remember seeing that play on tv but didn't put two & two together

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsupViGHy_0

<h2>1. What is "Poisoned Trees: What One Fool Can Do" about?</h2><p>"Poisoned Trees: What One Fool Can Do" is a book that explores the impact of human actions on the environment, specifically the destruction of trees through the use of pesticides and other harmful chemicals.</p><h2>2. How does the book address the issue of poisoned trees?</h2><p>The book examines the history and current state of deforestation and the use of pesticides in agriculture and logging. It also discusses the consequences of these practices on the environment and offers potential solutions to mitigate the damage.</p><h2>3. Who is the intended audience for this book?</h2><p>The book is written for a general audience, including those interested in environmental issues, conservation, and sustainable living. It is also suitable for students and researchers in the fields of environmental science and ecology.</p><h2>4. What makes "Poisoned Trees: What One Fool Can Do" different from other books on the same topic?</h2><p>This book takes a unique approach by focusing on the role of human behavior and attitudes in the destruction of trees. It also offers practical solutions and encourages readers to take action to protect the environment.</p><h2>5. Are there any real-life examples or case studies included in the book?</h2><p>Yes, the book includes several real-life examples and case studies from around the world to illustrate the impact of poisoned trees on the environment and human health. These examples help to make the issue more relatable and highlight the urgency of taking action.</p>

1. What is "Poisoned Trees: What One Fool Can Do" about?

"Poisoned Trees: What One Fool Can Do" is a book that explores the impact of human actions on the environment, specifically the destruction of trees through the use of pesticides and other harmful chemicals.

2. How does the book address the issue of poisoned trees?

The book examines the history and current state of deforestation and the use of pesticides in agriculture and logging. It also discusses the consequences of these practices on the environment and offers potential solutions to mitigate the damage.

3. Who is the intended audience for this book?

The book is written for a general audience, including those interested in environmental issues, conservation, and sustainable living. It is also suitable for students and researchers in the fields of environmental science and ecology.

4. What makes "Poisoned Trees: What One Fool Can Do" different from other books on the same topic?

This book takes a unique approach by focusing on the role of human behavior and attitudes in the destruction of trees. It also offers practical solutions and encourages readers to take action to protect the environment.

5. Are there any real-life examples or case studies included in the book?

Yes, the book includes several real-life examples and case studies from around the world to illustrate the impact of poisoned trees on the environment and human health. These examples help to make the issue more relatable and highlight the urgency of taking action.

Back