Exothermic chemical reaction materials

Other possible combinations may include sodium hydroxide (NaOH) and water, or potassium hydroxide (KOH) and water. These materials also produce exothermic reactions and are widely available. In summary, if you are looking for materials to produce an exothermic reaction at high temperatures, consider calcium oxide and water or other combinations such as sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide with water.
72Zorad
Hi all,
I'm looking for two material to produce an exothermic reaction of 180-190 C.

I'd prefer the materials to be cheap in larger quantities (think mass production).
Safe, other than the heat concerns. Not extremely corrosive, toxic...
Easy to clean once combined.
Prefer materials that are easy to acquire.

If possible more than one combination of materials so other factors may be considered.

If someone is interested in what I'm considering I'm more than happy to share.

Thanks,

Mark

Engineering news on Phys.org
One possible combination of materials you may want to consider is calcium oxide (CaO) and water. When calcium oxide is added to water, it produces an exothermic reaction that can reach temperatures of up to 190 degrees Celsius. This reaction is also known as “slaked lime” and is often used in the production of cement and other construction materials. The reaction also produces calcium hydroxide which is a byproduct that is safe and easy to clean up. Calcium oxide and water are both relatively inexpensive and easy to acquire in large quantities.

1. What is an exothermic chemical reaction?

An exothermic chemical reaction is a process in which energy is released in the form of heat. It is the opposite of an endothermic reaction, in which energy is absorbed.

2. What are some examples of exothermic chemical reactions?

Some common examples of exothermic chemical reactions include combustion (burning), neutralization (acids and bases reacting), and oxidation (rusting).

3. How do you determine if a chemical reaction is exothermic?

A chemical reaction is considered exothermic if the products have a lower energy level than the reactants. This means that energy is released during the reaction, usually in the form of heat or light.

4. What are some materials that can undergo exothermic reactions?

Many different materials can undergo exothermic reactions, including fuels like gasoline and wood, as well as common household chemicals like baking soda and vinegar.

5. What are the practical applications of exothermic chemical reactions?

Exothermic reactions have many practical applications, including heating systems, explosives, and chemical production. They are also used in hand warmers and self-heating food and beverages.