O' Levels in Singapore: SATs Enough for Caltech?

• Thread starter scry323
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Levels
In summary, the speaker is new to a forum and is currently studying for their 'o' levels and taking the SATs as well. They are specifically taking the SAT reasoning test, Mathematics level 2, and physics paper. They are wondering if the SATs alone are enough for them to get into a university like Caltech, but they are not familiar with the education system in the USA and need more information. The responder suggests reading the admissions site and mentions that top schools usually require SAT II tests and that getting in requires more than just meeting the minimum requirements.
scry323
Hey guys I'm new to this forum. I'm currently sitting for my 'o' levels in Singapore, but I am taking the SATs too. I'm taking the SAT reasoning test, Mathematics level 2 and physics paper.
I would like to know if the SATs by itself is enough for me to enter a university such as Caltech? I'm not familiar with the education system in the USA therefore I would require as much information as possible. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

You need to read their admissions site; most top schools also require SAT II tests. And those are only the minimum requirements to apply; getting in requires a lot more.

1. What are "O' Levels" and how do they differ from SATs?

"O' Levels" refer to the Singapore-Cambridge General Certificate of Education Ordinary Level examinations, which are taken by students in Singapore at the end of their secondary education. These exams cover a wide range of subjects and are more content-based, while the SATs are a standardized test that primarily assesses critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. Are SATs enough to get into Caltech?

While high SAT scores are certainly important for admission to Caltech, they are not the only factor considered. Caltech also looks at an applicant's high school grades, extracurricular activities, personal essays, and letters of recommendation. Additionally, Caltech has a highly competitive admissions process and considers many other factors in addition to SAT scores.

3. How do O' Levels factor into the admissions process for Caltech?

O' Levels are not typically considered in the admissions process for Caltech, as they are not a standardized test in the United States. However, if an applicant has taken O' Levels and has exceptional scores, they may choose to submit them as supplemental information for their application.

4. Can I take both O' Levels and SATs if I am applying to Caltech?

Yes, you can take both O' Levels and SATs if you are applying to Caltech. However, it is important to note that Caltech does not require or prefer one test over the other, so it is up to the individual applicant to decide which test they would like to take and submit.

5. Are there any other requirements for admission to Caltech besides O' Levels and SATs?

In addition to O' Levels and SATs, applicants to Caltech must also submit transcripts from all high schools attended, letters of recommendation, personal essays, and a completed application. Caltech also highly values a strong background in math and science courses, as well as involvement in extracurricular activities and leadership experiences.