Maxwell model of viscoelastic behaviour - Derivation of governing equation

In summary, the student is struggling to solve the problem from the question. The student has spoken to the lecturer who has given them some hints.
mark_d89
Hi everyone,

i'm a 3rd year undergraduate chemical engineering student from Scotland, and i am wondering if anyone could help me with the following past paper question in my plastics engineering class. The question is based on the maxwell model of viscoelastic behaviour. Apologies if i have posted in the wrong section.

"In a tensile test on a plastic the material is subjected to a constant strain rate of 10^-5/s. The material may have it's behaviour modeled by a maxwell element with elastic constant 20GN/m^2 and viscous constant 1000 GNs/m^2.
(a) Starting from the governing equation for a maxwell element, derive the following expression for the stress in the material at any instant. stress=n2*strain*[1-exp(-G1*t/n2)]"

I have derived the governing equation down to the point, stress(t)=stress0*exp(-G1*t/n2) , but have not been able to get it to resemble the equation shown in the question. I'll attach a picture of the question for more clarity.

Any help is much appreciated, Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0423.jpg
    IMG_0423.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 594
Engineering news on Phys.org
Problem solved, spoke to lecturer today who gave me a few hints and was able to work through it.

I can post the solution if anyone is interested

I need to know about the conductivity of visco-elastic material.

1) can it be considered as perfectly conductivity of electricity and heat?

2)what are the normal mode analysis method?
3) what information do we get from this method?
4) what are the cracks of mode I,II and III
how they change the stress and strain tensor?
any material or link related to that then please provide,,,,,

any comments and remarks will be informative,

Hey, I'm on the same course and really struggling with this one at the moment! I'd be really grateful if you could post your solution if you happen to read this, thanks.

Hi there,

I am familiar with the Maxwell model of viscoelastic behavior and its governing equation. I am happy to help you with your question.

Firstly, let's define the variables in the Maxwell model. The elastic constant, G1, represents the stiffness of the material and the viscous constant, n2, represents the rate at which the material deforms under an applied stress. The governing equation for the Maxwell model is:

stress(t) = G1 * strain(t) + n2 * integral of strain(t) dt

Using the given values for G1 and n2, we can rewrite the equation as:

stress(t) = 20GN/m^2 * strain(t) + 1000GNs/m^2 * integral of strain(t) dt

Now, since the material is subjected to a constant strain rate of 10^-5/s, we can express the strain as:

strain(t) = strain0 * t

Substituting this into the governing equation, we get:

stress(t) = 20GN/m^2 * strain0 * t + 1000GNs/m^2 * integral of strain0 * t dt

Integrating, we get:

stress(t) = 20GN/m^2 * strain0 * t + 1000GNs/m^2 * (strain0 * t^2)/2 + C

Where C is the constant of integration. Since we know that at t=0, the stress is 0, we can solve for C and get:

C = -1000GNs/m^2 * strain0 * t^2

Substituting this back into the equation, we get:

stress(t) = 20GN/m^2 * strain0 * t + 1000GNs/m^2 * (strain0 * t^2)/2 - 1000GNs/m^2 * strain0 * t^2

Simplifying, we get:

stress(t) = 20GN/m^2 * strain0 * t - 500GNs/m^2 * strain0 * t^2

Now, we can express the strain0 as a function of time using the given strain rate, 10^-5/s:

strain0 = 10^-5 * t

Substituting this into the equation, we finally get:

stress(t) = 20GN/m^2 * 10^-5

1. What is the Maxwell model of viscoelastic behavior?

The Maxwell model is a mathematical model used to describe the behavior of viscoelastic materials, which exhibit both viscous (fluid-like) and elastic (solid-like) properties. It consists of a series connection of a spring and a dashpot, representing the elastic and viscous components, respectively.

2. How is the Maxwell model derived?

The Maxwell model is derived from the basic laws of mechanics and thermodynamics, specifically the conservation of mass, momentum, and energy. By considering the behavior of a viscoelastic material under deformation and applying these laws, the governing equation for the Maxwell model can be derived.

3. What is the governing equation for the Maxwell model?

The governing equation for the Maxwell model is a first-order differential equation known as the Maxwell equation. It describes the relationship between stress and strain in a viscoelastic material and is given by σ(t) = Eε(t) + η(dε/dt), where σ is the stress, ε is the strain, E is the elastic modulus, η is the viscosity, and t is time.

4. What are the assumptions made in the Maxwell model?

The Maxwell model makes several assumptions, including that the material is incompressible, isotropic, and homogeneous. It also assumes that the material is linearly viscoelastic, meaning that the stress-strain relationship is linear and time-independent.

5. What are the limitations of the Maxwell model?

The Maxwell model has some limitations, including that it only applies to materials that exhibit linear viscoelastic behavior. It also does not take into account the effects of temperature, pressure, or stress history on the material's behavior. Additionally, the model is limited in its ability to accurately predict the behavior of materials under high strain rates or large deformations.