What is the speed of the space shuttle when a ball is dropped?

In summary, the space shuttle is launched from the earth and reaches an altitude of 100 meters in 6.1 seconds. At 6.1 seconds, a ball is dropped and hits the ground in 8.5 seconds. The speed of the space shuttle when the ball is dropped can be calculated using the equation Vf=vi+at, with a value of 5.37m/s^2 for acceleration. However, the assumption of uniform acceleration for the shuttle may not be valid, so it is better to analyze the motion of the falling ball, which will have the same speed as the shuttle when it is dropped. Keeping an eye on the ball, the speed of the shuttle can then be calculated to be approximately
UrbanXrisis
A space shuttle is launched from the earth. It reaches an altitude of 100 meters in 6.1 seconds. At 6.1 seconds, a ball is dropped and hits the ground in 8.5 seconds. What is the speed of the space shuttle when the ball is dropped?

I am really stumped by this one

d=0.5at^2
100=(0.5)a (6.1s)^2
a=5.37m/s^2

Vf=vi+at
v=(5.37m/s^2) * 6.1s
v=32.757m/s?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
keep your eye on the ball

UrbanXrisis said:
I am really stumped by this one

d=0.5at^2
100=(0.5)a (6.1s)^2
a=5.37m/s^2
This assumes that the shuttle uniformly accelerates. Instead, analyze the motion of the falling ball, since the ball and shuttle have the same speed when the ball is dropped.

I've looked at this problem in many different ways already. Trust me, I need more clues. I've tired all posibilities

the ball has upward velocity same as the space shuttle the moment it is dropped. the ball falls under the effect of gravity. your assumption about the rocket which moves with constant acceleration is not valid as doc al said. keep your eye on the ball, not the rocket. i got 30 m/s.

Last edited:
could you explain what you mean by "keep the eye on the ball"?

The ball goes up then once it is released, it will still go up but with decreasing velocity. Then, it will start to fall and pass the same point it was released with equal velocity as when it was released. It then accelerates downwards and hits the floor...I don't see any equation or way in solving this. I need to know the distance it travled to reach its max point...or some kind of clue

nevermind, I got it...I thought it would be more complex...

What is the speed of the space shuttle?

The average speed of the space shuttle during its launch and re-entry is around 17,500 miles per hour (28,000 kilometers per hour). However, it can reach a maximum speed of up to 25,000 miles per hour (40,000 kilometers per hour) while in orbit.

How does the space shuttle achieve such high velocities?

The space shuttle uses powerful rocket engines and solid rocket boosters to generate thrust and propel itself into space. The engines burn a mixture of liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen, producing enormous amounts of energy that push the shuttle forward at incredible speeds.

What factors affect the velocity of the space shuttle?

The velocity of the space shuttle is affected by several factors, including the amount of fuel it carries, the angle and trajectory of its launch, and the gravitational pull of other objects in space. The shuttle's weight and aerodynamic design also play a role in determining its velocity.

Can the space shuttle's velocity be controlled?

Yes, the space shuttle's velocity can be controlled by adjusting the thrust of its engines and changing its trajectory. This is crucial for a safe and successful launch, as well as for re-entry into the Earth's atmosphere.

How does the space shuttle's velocity compare to other objects in space?

The space shuttle's velocity is significantly faster than most objects in space, including other spacecraft and planets. However, it is not as fast as objects such as comets or meteors, which can travel at speeds of over 100,000 miles per hour (160,000 kilometers per hour).