Need ideas for Science Fair project related to math

In summary, the conversation is about entering the New-York Intel ISEF fair with a project in the fields of physical science or math. The project must be original research following the scientific method and can be in an abstract field such as Number Theory or Knot Theory. Recommended resources for finding unsolved problems in Number Theory include Moser's Number theory book and Guy's "Unsolved Problems in Number Theory". Knot theory is also mentioned as a potential field for a science fair project.
delton
Hi everyone:
I 'd like to enter the New-York Intel ISEF fair with a project related to phyical science or math. I'm open to any ideas, but keep in mind

-The project must be original research on a specific topic. :smile: It needs to be something that's new and follows the scientific method.

It does not have to be readily applicable, in fact, most of top national winners had projects related to abstract mathematics.

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I recommend looking into Number Theory. It's where all the new stuff's at.

Moser's Number theory book is free online at http://www.trillia.com/moser-number.html and has a big list of unsolved problems in Number Theory at the end. Guy's "Unsolved Problems in Number Theory" would be another good source for problems. These will obviously be extremely difficult to solve, but you can try to answer weaker versions.

a relatively new and fascinating field of mathematics is knot theory. i think something in that branch would lend itself nicely to a science fair project.

What is a Science Fair project related to math?

A Science Fair project related to math is a project that uses mathematical concepts and principles to investigate a scientific question or solve a real-world problem.

How do I come up with ideas for a Science Fair project related to math?

One way to come up with ideas for a Science Fair project related to math is to think about areas of math that interest you and brainstorm how they could be applied to a scientific topic. You can also look for inspiration from current events or previous Science Fair projects.

Can I do a Science Fair project related to math without a strong math background?

Yes, you can still do a Science Fair project related to math even if you do not have a strong math background. There are many projects that require basic math skills and can be completed with the help of a teacher or mentor.

What are some examples of Science Fair projects related to math?

Some examples of Science Fair projects related to math include investigating the relationship between music and math, exploring the use of math in coding and computer science, and studying the golden ratio in nature.

How can I make my Science Fair project related to math stand out?

To make your Science Fair project related to math stand out, you can choose a unique and creative topic, use advanced mathematical concepts, and present your project in a visually appealing and interactive way. You can also consider collaborating with other students or seeking guidance from a math professional.